Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

how in the ?????

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RAINEY 
#1 ·
Ok may be a dumb question here but the other night got stopped by a dot officer because my marker light on my mirror was out. no ticket or nothing but a warning. Now i looked at it and dont wanna just yank it apart but how the hell do you change the bulb in the mirror??? sorry if its a dumb question but any help/pics would be appreciated:doh:

#2 ·
Tilt the mirror glass inward toward the truck and then up as far as it will go. Get a long flat screwdriver and there is a tab that you push and the lens cover will pop out and you can access the bulb. I replaced mine with recon in about 5 minutes for both sides.

#3 ·
sweet thanks for the help ill get her changed out. dont know what part of iowa ur in but the dot in the nw area here is beign real picky lately. just had a buddy who drives semi get a ticket for his seatbelt beign to loose!!

#4 ·
I live just outside of Ames. We also run a seed dealership and often delivery seed on a 32 foot gooseneck. My cousin has a 2013 F250 and got pulled over for not having clearance lights, the dot officer said that anytime the total length of your vehicle exceeds 32 feet you become regulated like a commercial vehicle and are required to have clearance lights, safety triangles and a fire extinguisher. I still need to look into this to see if she knew what she was talking about. Luckily only a warning. Good luck fixing your mirror light.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#6 ·
Did you have DOT Numbers and signage on the truck? Once you do that in most states you have to follow commercial vehicle guidelines. If you are clean of signage then you are typically exempt.

Every state is a little different on the regulations. Once you put the DOT numbers on then you follow Federal guidelines which supersedes the state rules.

I had to learn this in a big hurry when I was hauling hay especially over state lines

#5 ·
Yeah I think hes right as well as no wondow tint whatsoever on ur front windows windsheild etc.. also need to have a yearly inspection sticker in most cases a cdl class no air brakes minimum and the list goes on and on . I actually have a friend who is a dot officer and he flat out told me depends on who stops ya because the book is so big they dont even know all the rules . I had to up my registration on all my trucks a few years back to a minimum of 15 ton and that way they said im legal to pull that weight lol they could care less about the gvwr of truck as long as u up ur registration :confused: idk but its a toss up also I know you have to run dot numbers on any vehicle towing and I was told farm use or not they are gonna start cracking down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.