Second Camera - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Second Camera

I was wondering if anyone has mounted another camera on their truck for use when backing up to a 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer, kinda like what they offer on the new Rams. They got that second camera integrated into the third brake light, really wish ford had something like that. I was thinking I could mount one on my headache rack, but don't know if I could wire it in to the H/U and then how it would come on.
Any ideas or input appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I've heard of guys splicing in a factory camera into a factory stereo that didn't originally come with a camera... But I doubt you could use the navi/mirror to show two different cameras at the same time.

But maybe with some patients and a lot of wiring you would make the rear view mirror be hooked up to the camera in the third brake light and the navi (aftermarket stereo) that shows the camera mounted in the tailgate handle/bumper. Great idea and good luck. If you attempt this make sure to do a write up with some pic.... I'm sure others would love to do this and now you've got the wheels turning my head also, thanks a lot! Haha
Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Found a great thread on another forum on basically the same subject...

Backup Camera Idea - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Old 08-07-2013, 04:42 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Good find.
I actually had a question similar to that guys question and I was told about something called "lockpick" basically unlocks the Nav system while driving, so you can use the functions that aren't normally available, as well as watch a DVD, or check the rearview camera. I got the system, but my electrician refused to warranty the work, he said he'd install it, but if something went bad and the H/U got killed in the process it would be my problem. So I just sold the device on Ebay.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 PM
RollinEarly05...now

My navigation system (Kenwood) just need the parking brake wire grounded and now at all times the navi thinks the trucks parking brake is on which allows the navi and DVD systems to be used.

I know that factory navi's are a little more complicated but it shouldn't be to hard to wire the camera into an up fitter switch.(compared to wiring two cameras)
Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 PM

I have the Lockpick for the MyFord Touch for my 2013. You can add up to three additional cameras with it. There is no hacking the factory wiring. It's all plug and play and switched with the steering wheel controls (voice and phone buttons). They even provide power and ground wires to power the aux cameras off their harness. It took 10 minutes to install the Lockpick. I haven't added any more cameras. That's a later project. The Nav unlock was the primary reason.

Eventually, I'd like to add a camera behind the fifth wheel to keep an eye on the second trailer and the bike rack. The brake light cam would be a cool idea for hitching. I have a hard time seeing past the center seat headrest.

MYTOUCH LOCKPICK

FORD LOCKPICKS
Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm thinking about doing that msyelf... mounting a cheap back up cam on my headache rack when i get one/make one and hooking it up to my Edge Insight CTS just as a second screen and have them both wired into the reverse system so both cameras will come on just to give a couple different perspectives of what you have going on... the second one higher up would also be good if you were backing up with your tailgate down...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.