Painted bumpers and grille on 2013 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Painted bumpers and grille on 2013

I just bought a new 13 damn I love this truck but I want to paint the bumpers and grille , can u guys post pics of this done and about how much did u spend and can you paint over the plastic chrome ? Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Plasti-dip Is pretty popular for the grill and surround. But the bumper, should be replaced with a xl bumper, and color matched to the truck.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
have your bumpers powdercoated.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I want a permanent solution so plasti dip is out. If I had a simple color I would powder coat but it's tuxedo black so I would rather oem color match. Maybee there's someone in so cal that wants to trade bumpers since I have chrome ?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no one? anyone have pics
Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankdave79 View Post
no one? anyone have pics
People have in the past. I searched "painted bummper" in the 6.7 section.

Done...Color matched grill/bumpers/emblem

What did you do to your 6.7 this week?
Old 07-04-2013, 04:20 AM

I just finished painting the chrome grill surround on my 2011 F-250 yesterday. I had bought the paint, adhesion promoter, clearcoat, etc. a couple of years ago and finally had the time (vacation this week) to do the job. Within 30 minutes of finishing everything and starting to put all the tools, etc. up, it started raining and it's been raining ever since......so no pics yet. I only painted the surround, not the chrome cross bars or the chrome "brackets" that enclose the cross bars. My truck is Tuxedo Black and the paint was Tuxedo Black. I shot 7 coats of the Black and 5 coats of the clear and it turned out very well. So yes, you can paint over the chrome, but surface prep is the very most important thing that you can do to the surround or any of the chrome pieces before painting them.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrated View Post
I just finished painting the chrome grill surround on my 2011 F-250 yesterday. I had bought the paint, adhesion promoter, clearcoat, etc. a couple of years ago and finally had the time (vacation this week) to do the job. Within 30 minutes of finishing everything and starting to put all the tools, etc. up, it started raining and it's been raining ever since......so no pics yet. I only painted the surround, not the chrome cross bars or the chrome "brackets" that enclose the cross bars. My truck is Tuxedo Black and the paint was Tuxedo Black. I shot 7 coats of the Black and 5 coats of the clear and it turned out very well. So yes, you can paint over the chrome, but surface prep is the very most important thing that you can do to the surround or any of the chrome pieces before painting them.
Any important prep you did? Planning to paint mine as well. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys. i cant offer any pics but i just painted my 02 grill and mirrors a little while ago and i can tell you the most important thing is to make sure the plastic chrome is scratched and scuffed up quite a bit. on my 02 grill i actually used some 60 grit sandpaper to get it nice and scratched up so the paint would stick. i dont really care how this one looks as its not staying so i just used krylon for plastic on the grill as well as the mirrors as they are being replaced with newer style mirrors shortly too. once you scuff up the plastic chrome i used windex on it and let it all dry really good just to get the dust off. still holding up great through rain rocks and bugs. good luck.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Here ya go truckfan..........these are from another thread that I started a couple of weeks ago showing the painted chrome surround

Tuxedo Black Grill Surround...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.