OEM Fender Flare Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM Fender Flare Install

I just ordered a set of OEM factory take off fender flares. Does anyone know the best/easiest way to install? I know their secured mainly by the 3M foam tape, screws, an u-clamps. Wasn't sure if there was a trick in getting good placement before the tape sticks to the truck.

I'd imagine it would be best to put the flare in place, then carefully pull the tape backing?

Suggestions / recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Peel the tape last, after the screws are in. Just peel a little bit up on one end ahead of time so that you will be able to grab it and pull it slowly after the flare is in position.

Here is a good video showing how it is done:

Old 06-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It is easier to put the fender flare in place and then peel off the protective layer on the double-sided tape.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for all the advice. I just finished my install this morning. The hardest past was removing the old 3M tape (OEM factory take-off flares). I ended up purchasing a rubber 3M eraser wheel. It worked great! Then I used some light sand paper to make sure everything was real smooth. The final step was to spray on some adhesive remover and wiped off any remaining adhesive. Then I washed the fender flares real good and let them dry.

From there, I rubbed on some 3M adhesion promotor and put on the new 3M automotive grade foam tape.

I installed the fender flare like the video and your recommendations suggested. I secured the flare with the mounting screws and then I carefully pulled the backing from the 3M tape. Then ran my hands along the flare while applying pressure. afterwords I used a hair dryer (as hot as I could get it) and ran it around the edges of the flare and while running my hand and applying pressure once more. Everything sits nice and flush with a good snug fit.

Here are a few pics. I installed the Sterling Gray Metallic. It off sets the silver ingot super duty nicely.

Last edited by AK250; 08-05-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks good. Where did you come across those flares? Looking for the exact ones!

Brett
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
Looks good. Where did you come across those flares? Looking for the exact ones!

Brett
Sorry for the late response! Been traveling and this is my first access to the internet. I purchased the fender flares on ebay. You'll find factory OEM take-offs. Here is the link the the guy's store I purchased from. Don't see the grey metallic on his site at the moment, but, he always has a good inventory of new factory take-offs. A lot cheaper than ordering new ones and having them painted. But, you'll have to take the time to clean off all the old 3m tape and install new tape (just like my write up). Well worth the cost savings.

bestautopartsofthelord | eBay
Old 10-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Great thread. Thanks for taking the time to help us all out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.