ARE Zseries or Snugtop Super Sport - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 07:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ARE Zseries or Snugtop Super Sport

I have a dilemma. I haven't had the pleasure of seeing either of these in person and have scoured the Internet looking for photos of them on late model Super Duty's but only finding a handful of pics. Essentially they look very similar and both have options for keyless entry that can be programmed to the Factory Key (I think). Anyone have thoughts and experience with the two brands?

I'm hoping to order one tomorrow and am leaning towards the Snugtop, however if the ARE is essentially just as good and looks similar then I might go that way. I suspect the ARE is cheaper but for the Snugtop it looks like it's going to be in the neighborhood of $2600 for one optioned out like I want.

BTW, I'd prefer to go with a Tonneau Cover however I need someplace secure to store my bikes when we're travelling and don't trust just a cable on the bike rack.

One thing I do like are toppers that slant forward a bit, looks a little more sporty and less "grandpa-ish".

Last edited by lwg; 05-27-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

ARE Z-series without a question. I've had one since 2005 and the fit and finish is still exceptional.

Lots of features you can add on, but I loved the simplicity of the back glass. No external hinges, no visible mounting points for the struts.....just a handle to open the hatch.

Last edited by Snake; 05-27-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 AM

I love your truck. That's probably my favorite Super Duty to date, almost bought one several years ago and considered tracking one down now instead of a new one. I'm starting to lean towards the Zseries a little, hoping that pricing might be a little less but I do like the looks.

Thanks for posting the pics.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
ARE Z-series without a question. I've had one since 2005 and the fit and finish is still exceptional.

Lots of features you can add on, but I loved the simplicity of the back glass. No external hinges, no visible mounting points for the struts.....just a handle to open the hatch.

Is that first pic at Gandy Beach in Tampa....
Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 PM

I must say that's a nice looking top..
You get what you pay for.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
I love your truck. That's probably my favorite Super Duty to date, almost bought one several years ago and considered tracking one down now instead of a new one. I'm starting to lean towards the Zseries a little, hoping that pricing might be a little less but I do like the looks.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Thanks man. It killed me to put a topper on my truck, but it was either that or have the dogs ride in the cab with me. That wasn't really ever an option. I looked at pretty much every topper on the market before deciding upon the Z-Series. I still feel good about my choice (not only because of the quality of the topper), especially when someone says "I didn't know they made a Harley Excursion."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeter1388 View Post
Is that first pic at Gandy Beach in Tampa....
Close. Just a bit south of there at Emerson Point.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 AM

Between your pic and some others I found I think I'm going to order the ARE today. Thanks a million for posting the picture. Really helped, wanted to make sure the back sloped forward. Like you I'd rather not do a topper but have no choice really right now.

Looks like it'll run about $2600 optioned out, installed with taxes. Buying in AZ otherwise I wouldn't be paying sales tax...
Old 05-28-2013, 11:31 AM

Not the greatest shot of the rear glass, but you should be able to get the idea.......

(pic was of my truck in May 2005, one month after I bought it. Sure has come a long way. )
Old 05-28-2013, 11:37 AM

I find it funny that over the course of 12 or 13 years the beds of these trucks haven't really changed a bit. I'm kind of glad actually, the F-150 has changed a lot and the tail lights on that truck are hideous! I hope Ford doesn't screw with the Super Duty tail lights too much in the coming years. Maybe they should just make them LED and call it a day.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 AM

I don't think $2600 is too far out of line, if at all. IIRC, the MSRP on mine was around $2300 but that was several years ago. I'm also not sure what options you're looking at that I don't have (roof rack, etc).

Glad I could help you out. I know I was really frustrated because I couldn't find what I was looking for. Since then I still haven't seen another topper that I've liked better.

Last edited by Snake; 05-28-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.