My 2011 2WD leveling kit experience - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 2011 2WD leveling kit experience

I've perused the forum for a thread that talked specifically on leveling a 2011 2WD and haven't found one so I'm starting this thread. Seems almost everything here is focused on 4WD. If there is a 2WD post o this subject, please let me know and I apologize ahead of time for posting this.

I recently upgraded my 2011 F250 from the factory 18" wheels to the 2013 20" 8-spoke aluminum. With that, I also installed a 2" spacer kit with the bolt extension from FatBobs Garage. Upon installation, I knew I'd have some positive camber. After installation, I took the stock camber bushings (ground off the tab) and rotated them as far as I could to get some negative. The stocks are stamped ".125 - .500" so I took them both to the lowest side. That didn't get me much so when I took it to the alignment shop...looked like this \ -- / so both myself and the manager knew we'd have to add a more aggressive camber bushing to achieve the spec camber.
When I went to align the front end, the steering knuckle on the back side of the spindle is rubbing the I-beam. To be in alignment spec, the truck "needs" a 2.75 to 3* bushing and with the rub, there's only 2 options. 1) Shave 1/4 or so off the back side of the spindle where it's rubbing against the I-beam... OR 2) find drop down brackets that will lower the I-beams where they hook into the the crossbeam under the engine.

After hours of surfing the web and making phone calls to various lift companies, no one has a CLUE of what to do on the 2WD when lifted. So, I decided to go with the Dremel tool and do what I needed to attain the proper clearance to get the correct camber bushing installed.

I achieved the clearance (Dremel - spindle/I-beam) and we installed the 3* camber bushing; got the front end dialed in in alignment and centered the steering wheel.

The stock shock, which is 10" comprsssed and 15" extended, will work but it was at it's max ext/comp dimensions so I ordered the KYB5439 for this app. It shows to be 11" comp' and 18" ext, with the correct mounts. (Had to search a bit to find a shock that had a 5/8 ID for bottom mount hole but this one is it)

Please let me know if you have any experience with the suspension of the 2011 or newer trucks on this topic or share your experience as well. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM

These front suspensions havent changed much over the years. Here is a link with the fix. They are double adjustable eccentric bushings. Moog sells them: Moog K80109. They are 0-4* adjustable

Amazon Amazon
$23ea
RockAuto might be cheaper. There are some 10% off codes floating the internet
2wd leveling Kit - Installed - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Last edited by 8mpg; 03-11-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

8mpg, that's what I used. Double adjustable ecentric. You still cannot get them in or to fit without the I-beam and spindle rubbing, until you "enhance"/modify your spindle and I-beam relationship.
And you're right, somewhat. They haven't changed much over the years but on these newer I-beams, they are made of cast steel. Stamped right on them is a statement "do not bend, heat or weld" I know of 2 shops that tried against it and have come up with negative achievement results. AND...there are no drop down plates, kits, etc, whatever, for these newer 2WD model set-ups.
These newer ones may look the same from standing at the front of the truck looking under, but get under there and look at what Ford did for dimensions and the geometry and therefore the relation ship of it all, and you'll be a little surprised.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.