Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

driving on the "stretched" tires????

43K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  VT19 
#1 ·
Need some advice. Im starting to like the look of the "stretched" tires. Im know some are inpracial on this idea and some love it. My main question is driving on the stretched tires. Im looking at 37x13.50x22 and 22x14 wheels. I was wondering from the people that have this done already how far and type of driving you do?

I ask this cuz there will be times that i will be driving 8 hours and didnt know if i would run into issues with the heat build up from the constant driving with stretched tires.

Thanks in advance :thumb::thumb:

#3 ·
Here is a pick of Highon22's (silver ford)truck when he had the 37x13.50x22 w/22x14 wheels - see how the wheels are wider than the tire, its noticable in the sidewall.

The white truck is one from Intercity Concepts.

They both have 37x13.50x22 and 22x14 wheels.

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

#4 ·
I have never heard that term either LOL

the downsides from what I remember are in the event of a flat the tire may unseat and
the potential to curb rash a rim if no tire bulge is present to protect it

other than that IDK that Silver ford looks great IMHO but not sure that look is for Me?

#47 ·
that silver ford looks good because its on a larger diameter wheel. the smaller the wheel the more ridiculous it looks, the bigger the wheel the better it looks IMHO

#6 ·
And south of the border. This reminds me of the 13" reverse offset craze on the import cars in the early 90s....hated it then, still hate it now. It's your truck and your money so do what you like but this looks to me to be exactly what the Dodge guys need someone to do so everyone will stop picking on them about their mirrors being flipped.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
Personally, I think it looks retarded and to me is unsafe. Why woul you want a tire that is narrower than the wheel? I look at it like this.... You are driving at 55mph down the road an all of a sudden have to an evasive swerve, which puts a lateral rolling of the sidewall. I see the tire peeling away from the bead seat. I don't like that. Again just my .02 cents. Plus save a few dollars by using the 13.5" wide tire on a 12" wide rim.

#8 ·
I've heard of it but its usually guys with small a penis an emo hair building something like this and hanging out in mall parking lots....

#9 ·
Oh, and skinny jeans......

#11 ·
I'm with these guys. Looks retarded and makes me think, ricer A-hole bought a truck. Only dodges should have this "stretched tire" fad. I could handle a few of those guys blowing out at 70mph and totaling those smokey, POS pigs. Just sayin'. And yes, I would also assume tiny weiner and skinny jeans if I saw that on a truck of any kind. Might I add a flat bill hat and 3ft Monster Energy sticker to the visual?

#12 ·
To me it seems somebody had daddy buy them a truck and thinks what they saw in "Truckin" magazine is the right thing to do, without thought about safety and use ability. Forget most of the trucks in that magazine are trailer queens.

#13 · (Edited)
Ok so here's some input from a white boy who bought a 03 7.3 from a Mexican in Houston, Texas a few years ago.....don't do it.

They were brand new BFG A/Ts on Eagle alloys that were way too wide. Long story short, I woke up one morning on a cool..ok..cold as balls, Atlanta, GA morning, and there my truck was, sittin in the driveway, lookin like it had a limp leg. Yes, the tire blew out. The tires had 7k miles on them. They are looked dry rotted, so I knew it'd happen sooner or later.

With that said, if your name is Pedro, or Paco, and/or you like to buy new tires everytime you get an oil change, do it.

Orrrr you could buy wheels with the correct offset, and tires that are the correct width, but then again, I'm just an uneducated 22 year old white boy, what do I know :dunno:

That is all :D

#15 ·
Im sorry if i missed something with my original post. Didnt mention anything about my penis size or if my dad bought me my truck. To those who gave a .02 cents about the acutal topic, thanks!

#18 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. On all of other rides ive only ever had 9" wide wheels. I want the wheel/tire combo to stick out a bit from the pocket flares. The truck i have now is 35x12.50x20 and 20x10 badlands....so just looking for something different. Want to get the tires out from under the truck a lil, you know!!!

#21 ·
Yeah I would like 20x 9 or 20x10 and at least a 35x12.5 do you have a pic of your current setup

my sig block is my current set up

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sorry. I wasn't trying to imply anything about you. I was just trying to paint a mental picture of what I thought of when I read your original post. I thought you'd see who and what that look is sononamous with and get the point that it would be a bad idea. If your looking to get the tire further out, do it with offset/back spacing. OR, if your going to do it with width and get a 14" wheel, get a 15.50 tire to go on it. BUT, be prepared to only drive in a straight line unless you put 8" or more of lift on there.
Yea, im only going to lift truck another 2" for a total of 6", so wont go any higer than a 37" tire, but not much of an option for 22" wheels, so might just stick with 20" wheels

#22 ·
Might go with this wheel - 20x12 Hostile Knuckle

Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Automotive tire

#24 ·
^^^^:nod:

12" wheels should be ok with 6" and those big wheel openings.

#25 ·
With your description of regular 8 hour drives my advice is to go for comfort, safety and reliability. Your desire for the tire to stick out past the body is doable while being safe, reliable and comfortable. Just keep in mind that it is going to spray in the rain and can sand blast or throw gravel onto the paint. When shopping for tires look at their load rating, especially if you are going to tow. I'm with Eli on having a lot of sidewall but sometimes that comes with a lower load capacity. Just do your homework before you spend your money. Just because it looks good doesn't mean that it will work well.

#26 ·
Couldnt agree more, when i bought my 2001 7.3 it had 38" mickey tompsons on it and i think they were load range c and i blew 2 of them on the interstate, I then changed to Toyo open countrys. I dont have regular 8 hour drives, just thats were the in-laws live and i live in WV and they are in Ill, so if i drive the truck it would be an 8 hour drive. Def will keep the load range in mind since these trucks are heavy in the front end.

#28 ·
My rule of thumb is from Jeep/offroad theory but it doesn't fit our trucks. It states that the total sidewall of the tire should not be less than the wheel diameter. Example of minimum sizes would be a 30 inch tire on a 15 inch wheel, a 32 inch tire on a 16 inch wheel, a 36 inch tire on a 18 inch wheel and a 40 inch tire on a 20 inch wheel. I'm running a 35 inch Toyo M/T on a 15X10 on my jeep and it looks perfect to me but my 275-65-20 (34 inch) on my 250 look like low profile tires to me. Can you imagine all of these Super Duty$ running around on 36, 40 and 44 inch tires? The idea behind a lot of sidewall is so that you can air down to 12-15 lbs of pressure for the tire to conform to the rocks, sand, etc and not break the bead. While none of us are going to air down our trucks, the same concept is what makes the "stretch" so dangerous. The air inside the tire is fighting to keep it ballooned out so that the bead stays seated. I can imagine a setup like the op pictured picking up a nail and the air pressure dropping to 20 or 30 pounds, getting a side load on it....like turning at a moderate speed....and the tire rolling off of the wheel causing a roll over. Granted that is worse case. Also likely is an increase in sidewall puncture because it has so much roll to it rather than being more straight up and down. Not to mention how angry the guy that had to mount them would be.

To the op...forget all of that rambling. Pick your wheel with the offset that you want and get the tallest tire that fits correctly with your lift, keeping in mind the load rating and you'll be fine. Also keep in mind lift laws and tire coverage laws of the states that you'll be driving it. We can do just about any stupid chit we want in Ga but I don't know about you.

#29 · (Edited)
I will say that stretching tires on a lifted truck is retarded. You have two instances of stretched tires otherwise, one is acceptable one is not IMHO.

If you're going ridiculous camber for a show car/hooptie like a lot of the VW guys and Euro crowd does like a 225 width tire on a 10" wide rim. This is a drastic stretch and is unacceptable. There is no gain in performance and it looks retarded not to mention putting you at a real risk of unbeading the tires on pot holes and or trashing your wheels against anything curb like.

Stretched tires however are used in race cars when aggressive fender rolling isn't enough to clear the tires and you have extremely tight fender clearances with aggressive offset wheels and need the most contact patch you can get for whatever rim width you're running. Example: stretching a 275 width tire over a 10.5" rim so you can run a very aggressive stance. Acceptable. I would have had to stretch my 275's on my Mitsubishi Evolution X over a 10.5" rim if I wanted to go any lower with coil overs because my aggressive fender roll was barely enough to clear them on my 18x9.5's since they were at the edge of the fender and wouldn't tuck into the fender wheels during suspension compression.

Your truck, your call bud but I'd leave the stretched look for cars.

#30 ·
Check out XD diesel wheels.. They have some crazy offset.. That will give you the look your looking for... Its not a diesel.. but i've got them on my F-150 right now.. And Its almost illegal my tires are so far outside the fender.. (Its possible that it is illegal, I don't know the actual distance it can be)

Be prepared for it to be impossible to keep your truck clean though...

#33 ·
Have you tried bead balancing? I had a set of 33x13.5 swampers on my jeep I couldn't get balanced and the beads did the trick. They use them in semi's and such with big tires as they constantly balance as you drive. Worth looking into.

#32 ·
I'm going to do 20 or 22x12's and a 12.5" tire so I'll probably get some heat for my tires being "stretched" when in theory they won't be. I personally don't like "ballooning" tires one bit... Reminds me of the ******** driving around on 15x9's with 35x12.5's and it looks ridiculous. Unless you have 50" tires the balloon looks terrible. OP throw some 22x14's on that bad boy with a nice offset with your current tires and it would look awesome IMO. That's the one thing about forums is if something is prominent to another vehicle such as a Ram the Ford guys think it "ricer" Now I have seen some that were too much but really because they have a 33" tire on a huge rim so yes that's rice! I'll stop ranting I'm sure this will get some flack.

#35 ·

12.50 tire on a x12 rim looks great imo. Wouldn't really call it "stretching

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

#38 ·
OP my buddy with a 6.4 is running an 8" icon lift on 22x14's with 37x13.5x22 wheels. It looks very nice and rides great(better than my 7.3 by far)

However his ball joints were destroyed in about 15k miles. Driver hub didn't last long either.
I'd say if it's not a daily driver and you fix things yourself go for it.

Reactions: OneTon2011
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.