HID problems! Help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HID problems! Help!!

So, I have had two sets of HID lights installed on my truck. The first set I had intermittent problems with them not turning off, or turning off by themselves. I've removed that set, chalking it up to either being a junk set, or a bad product to start off with.
I am now on my second set of HID lights trying to install them today, and ran into more problems. This is a entirely new kit, from a completely different company.
We spent about three hours troubleshooting this, and could not find any solution. As far as the headlights go it seemed like one headlight was on or the other. They started off both working just fine but after 5 or 10 flicks of the on off switch one would go out, then if you turned it on and off a few more times they both would be on, then the other would go out. after that, the driver side headlight went out, and would not come back on. We flipped the ballast to the other side, no change. We then flipped the actual hid bulb itself to the other side which made the other side go out thus leading us to believe that that bulb is now permanently damaged.
As far as the fog lights go, we are still stumped with that as well. The fog lights are hooked up just fine, but after turning them on or off a few times one side is consistently out. Sometimes it is the left, sometimes it is the right, there's no rhyme or reason for this. We left the shop with the driver side not working at all, we could not get it to turn back on. While driving home we turn the lights on and the drivers came on and the passenger would not come on. The upside to this, is that when you do turn them on, they both fire up but the one that is out turns off immediately.
This is the same issue we have had with the first kit, we thought it was a faulty kit, however this kit is doing it as well.

Could this be a problem with my truck? Or is there special part that is required for Ford vehicles? How is it that both kits are from different companies, with different parts altogether, are having similar issues? When I install my stock factory system, I have no issues and everything works perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 03:38 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Sounds like a grounding issue... check and clean all ground points. Also. ..if the ballast is buzzing then its working. ..

Sent from my SCH-R530U using AutoGuide App
Old 01-06-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
Sounds like a grounding issue... check and clean all ground points.
My thoughts too.

No probs at all with mine!!

Mark
Old 01-06-2013, 04:21 PM

This was a brand new ground. Did you guys have grounding for the fogs? mine did not.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM

Are you using a relay to supply power to the ballasts? If you are, is it the original relay that came with the original set of HIDs? If you are 100% confident that you have an excellent ground for both ballasts, I'm suspecting the relay.........if you have one in the install.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:07 PM

Well the fog lights dont have a ground. They are just wired to the ballast, and the factory harness. No ground, no connection to the battery... so that is still unexplained.
I just walked out, both fog lights are working fine again, its just random. They will both fire up, then one, or the other, will immediately shut down.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:07 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickYamaha View Post
This was a brand new ground. Did you guys have grounding for the fogs? mine did not.
No, I just ran a regular kit like you would in a low beam only setup in my fogs.... Without the additional wiring harness you can add, sometimes when turning them on you would have to try the switch 2-3 times before they would both come on
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Sounds like relay problems to me.

I'd suggest verifying that by checking the ballasts. If they're humming/buzzing, they're getting power, and the problem lies in the bulb or ballast itself, if they aren't, then the problem is likely in the relay.

I had a faulty relay on my first attempt, drove me crazy and cost me the better part of a day trying to track down the problem. What I learned is that the headlight wiring system is very simple, central ground with two live wires. If the wiring harness is working properly, the only variable you have to accout for is a reversing of the high/low beam positive feed where the stock wiring harness input goes into the aftermarket harness.

I'd suspect the relay. Once I got the new relay, my install was a very simple plug&play, and it has worked flawlessly.

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.