Lifts/wheels/tires questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lifts/wheels/tires questions

Hi folks. I'm kinda new to diesels and 4wd stuff, and I'm also kind of a warranty weenie. I have a couple of questions, I thank you for any advice.

-Is the odometer going to be off as well as the speedometer, or are they fed from different sources?
-I understand that if I change suspension products/wheels/tires, that I can't really cry to Ford about anything if it breaks. But would I have a leg to stand on for engine, trans, and computer stuff? If a place recalibrates the speedo, would I then be on my own for any computer issues that might come up?

I know you guys aren't lawyers or warranty agents, but I appreciate any insight you guys might have. I love the way these trucks look lifted and bigger wheels and tires, just trying to figure out if I can live with paying to play. Thanks again, sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have similiar questions. i would probably just have ford change the speedometer/odometer
Old 11-05-2012, 04:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I went through my dealership for my lift, wheels, and tires. They have done a lot of business with me so they didn't make any money off me. I paid the guy I went through on the side some cash for his help but am still covered by fords warrantee. The dealership goes through a local truck accessories shop. The lift I got covers all the wear and tear on the pieces replaced. The drivetrain and what not are covered as long as Ford's standard warrantee guarantees (3year/36,000m). If I have a problem until that day comes, they will take care of it.

With your speedo, you are kind of S.O.L. You can do a tuner or reprograming module but your dealership will be able to check it when you take it in for maintenance or w/e. They 9/10 times won't like it. You can't reprogram the speedo unless you use a tuner btw.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just put a 4" lift and 37s on my F-350 and went to the dealership to get everything tuned. Everything powertrain wise is still covered under warranty. Don't expect the dealer or Ford to cover parts that you changed out, which is pretty common sense.

My dealer tuned the speedo to as close to accurate as possible (34.1" max tire diameter). My speedometer is off by 3 MPH at 75 (speedo reads 72) which I can live with.

For a retune of the speedo, and recalibrating my pressure sensors for the lower pressure larger load range E tires was $125. Remember that larger tires will run at a lower pressure than stock so if you don't recalibrate your TPMS, you will get a tire pressure sensor error.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:49 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you have the stock 20" rims..the tries on them are very close to 34"..more than likely no spedo cal is needed.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc. View Post
If you have the stock 20" rims..the tries on them are very close to 34"..more than likely no spedo cal is needed.
Yep only .8" away from 34"... They are 34.8 new, very close to 35" in my book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.