Stronger Tailgate Support Cables / Braces - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stronger Tailgate Support Cables / Braces

I've asked this on another forum, but I figured I'd post it over here too, and we'll see what kind of answers I get (if any).

Question: Does anyone know of any company that makes stronger tailgate cables or braces?

Here's the issue:

Since I'm pretty good with a wrench and have a decently outfitted garage... my friends want me to tinker around with their motorcycles occasionally. (repairing, restoring, adding accessories, etc.) Most of these bikes can be ridden to my place, but occasionally I need to go pick one up. Some of these bikes are large Gold Wings & Harley dressers weighing over 900 pounds.

Now, of course I have a ramp that I use to load them in the bed... but, I have to admit that I'm pretty damned scared rolling some of these larger bikes up there. Why?

Well, it's my understanding that... although the tailgate can withstand the weight (especially the ones with the built-in step & handle), the weakest points are the tailgate cables themselves.

While no one will actually give a rating on the cables (either OEM or replacement)... the generally accepted number seems to be about 500 pounds.

Well, ok, you figure two 500 pound cables on each side ought to give you at least 750 pounds... and you figure since they always rate these things low to cover themselves legally, there's always some tolerance in there. But here's where the numbers get scary:

You take a 900 pound bike... then you add 2 (sometimes 3) people helping you load the thing, all standing on that ramp, with a good majority of the weight on the outer edge of that tailgate. If the average weight of the guys helping you load is 200 pounds... that's up to another 600 pounds added to the 900.

And the last thing I need is for one of those cables to SNAP while I'm at the apex of loading the thing. Because if one snaps, I can damn well be sure that the lone remaining cable isn't going to hold 1500 pounds by itself... and down with come baby, cradle & all.

So...

I've looked around the internet, and can't find any replacement cables that have a high-weight rating. All I can find are plain ole OEM replacements. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not looking in the right place... or, if because of the way the braided cables are made, there's no way to make them in higher strength ratings.

What I think I need are a pair of proper-length, high tensile flat-steel braces that I can conveniently use to replace the OEM cables when loading/unloading. If they were drilled & slotted on the ends like the OEM cable mounts, it'd take all of 5 minutes to swap them in & out.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing... or know where I could get something like that?

I guess I could take my idea to a machine shop & have some made up... but it would seem that I can't be the only person that's ever had this issue.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Supporting Vendor

It's easy to figure out, simply measure the cable and look up what it'll take. I'm pretty sure they have a breaking strength well in excess of 500lbs.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Um how about a tommy lift?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
Um how about a tommy lift?
LOL... yeah, that'd work. But I don't need it often enough to justify the cost for one of those.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

shock load from rolling up across the gate isn't what to worry about. if the rear tire is sitting on the gate during transport, that is what to worry about. to distribute the load lay a piece of 3/4" plywood in the bed so all of the wieght isn't on the gate.

if your side business makes enough, consider a harbor freight or tractor supply trailer. they should be fine for in-town stuff. you can also find single rail trailers on c-list really cheap. 3-rails are a bit more. 4x8 utility trailers pop up cheap too.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

here ya go..

Utility Trailer
Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There are steel bars that are made for loading purposes... They attach to your latch and the side of the bed on to the hooks...

Tailgate EX Support
Old 08-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexter View Post
here ya go..

Utility Trailer
I like that idea. There are bike trailers everywhere.

Btw the girl in the vid is hot.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I could have just posted the other link that I found FIRST... But I decied to "add" the video just for you guys

PS... I think SHE sells more kits then the fat guy talking about the product
Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Take the tailgate off like the owner's manual says to do when loading and unloading. Don't think I've ever seen a pair of ramps that said it was ok to use them braced on the tailgate. Always have braced them by using the lip of the bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.