Help! Need to fill holes on my roof... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! Need to fill holes on my roof...

THe moron who had my truck before me put a luggage rack on the roof. Looked horrible, so I took it off. Now there are 12 screw holes in my roof. For now I put the screws back in with silicone, but the sheetmetal is pulled up at teh screws and it looks horrible. There are 3 screw at each mount location. The area I need to cover is about 3 to 4 inches long at each point to cover the screw holes. WHat is something I could put back over these like cab lighting or something? SHould I just put the stupid rack back on?

I can't Believe someone would just screw into the roof of a 60k truck...this is bothering the **** out of me. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 PM

take it to a shop and live with the fact that ur truck will have bondo on it the rest of its life or pay major bucks and have them cut and weld in new metal
Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

#1, it was his truck and he/she did what they wanted and loved the rack, and somehow you're the dummy for buying the truck to begin with.

#2, go to any auto parts store, they all have small black plug holes. i use the all the time in the firewall of my racecars, you might have ti add a silicone bead since your application is on the exterior.

#3, take it to a body shop and be prepared to for over several grand in body work. hope you got a killer deal when you bought it, enough to swallow paying for body work.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchottie View Post
#1, it was his truck and he/she did what they wanted and loved the rack, and somehow you're the dummy for buying the truck to begin with.

#2, go to any auto parts store, they all have small black plug holes. i use the all the time in the firewall of my racecars, you might have ti add a silicone bead since your application is on the exterior.

#3, take it to a body shop and be prepared to for over several grand in body work. hope you got a killer deal when you bought it, enough to swallow paying for body work.
He's on here asking for help, and you're calling him dumb for buying the truck? That's what this forum is for, help, not for bashing eachother.

As for the truck, I agree, take it to a shop with a good reputation and see what they say. Maybe cheaper than you think.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 AM
Premium Member

Yea I would bite the bullet take it to a body shop and see how much they want to fix the holes.....You could temp it with some of the above solutions but if you are like me it will bother you till you just pull the trigger and get it done....It might hurt the wallet for a bit but knowing you got the truck to you liking and will be happy with it long term makes it all so much better to drive.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Any pics of the rack installed. It sounds really cool.

Ha, not really but a pic woud be awesome.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceking35 View Post
He's on here asking for help, and you're calling him dumb for buying the truck? That's what this forum is for, help, not for bashing eachother.

As for the truck, I agree, take it to a shop with a good reputation and see what they say. Maybe cheaper than you think.
it's like buying a used trailer without fenders, and then coming on a trailer forum to complain & ask where to buy fenders.

#1, you should have bought a trailer WITH the fenders, or #2 you should live with it without the fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scummins View Post
I can't Believe someone would just screw into the roof of a 60k truck...this is bothering the **** out of me. Please help!

OP above decide to remove the rack, I guess maybe he thought there wouldnt be mounting holes?

i'm not bashing, i'm just wishing people had more common sense!

and yes, take it to a professional to at least get a price quote, altho my gut feeling says its going to be A LOT more than you are expecting.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 PM

I had holes in my bed from a transfer tank that I took out because I didn't use it and it took up room in the bed so I had a local shop weld in bolts, grind them down flush with the bed, and then got my bed Line-X'ed. No problems whatsoever. Looks like new. Don't have a solution for your roof as people see that so it the holes will have to be repaired, dents pulled out, and the roof repainted. Sounds like an expensive trip to the body shop. I can only imagine what that would cost. I was quoted $2100+ to put in aftermarket cab lights from a body shop when they're a $75 option from the factory. Good luck at the body shop!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:59 PM

Since you are so smart mchootie, you would know that there are more professional ways to mount to sheetmetal, such as blind nuts, retainers, what ever, anything but driving steel screws right into the roof of a 60k truck so far and hard that it distorts the metal around it, then rusting. Luckily I had enough "common sense" as you put it, to remove it and find this issue before it became a real problem. I was expecting to find a nicely drilled hole, with some type of nut and some sealant under there, however when I purchased the truck it had the plastic trim piece covering the mounting screws and I couldn't see what a derelect installation it truly was.

I'll post a before and after pic soon. Thanks for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchottie View Post
it's like buying a used trailer without fenders, and then coming on a trailer forum to complain & ask where to buy fenders.

#1, you should have bought a trailer WITH the fenders, or #2 you should live with it without the fenders.

OP above decide to remove the rack, I guess maybe he thought there wouldnt be mounting holes?

i'm not bashing, i'm just wishing people had more common sense!

and yes, take it to a professional to at least get a price quote, altho my gut feeling says its going to be A LOT more than you are expecting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.