Where to find Headlight and Taillight - Covers (smoked)? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to find Headlight and Taillight - Covers (smoked)?

Hello Powerstroke.org,

This is truly my first post, so bare with me here. I recently bought a 2012 F-250 XLT and I love it. Taking it through the breakin paces now.

I'm going to be doing some minor customization to set my ride apart from the rest and I wanted to know where I could find some reasonably priced headlight/taillight covers that are smoked/blacked out. I only was able to find one seller online that had headlight covers for $600+ which I think is way too much for the cover.

If any of you know of a good online source to pick these up, I'd greatly appreciate it. As well, if you have purchased a particular product yourself and have any recommendations, I'm all ears. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 AM

u reminded me i wanted to look for some i came across this browsing yahoo
2008-09 Ford F250/350 Superduty Headlight Covers GT Styling GT0779S
Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can do it yourself with a can on Nightshade. There's a couple good threads on here with DIY Nightshade explanations. Will cost you less than $20 and a couple hours of your time.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Congrats on the new truck! Just a question, not an attack...Why would you want to reduce your visibility at night in the front and from behind? I just never understood this blackout thing. I know it is popular but visibility (to me anyway) is more important than trying to look cool. I have run up on vehicles in bad weather or dark environments and taillights that are blacked out reduce the reaction time even at reduced speeds. Getting rear-ended for the sake of looking cool escapes me. I know a lot of folks go for the blacked out look. If it's what you want, consider the safety factor.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
You can do it yourself with a can on Nightshade. There's a couple good threads on here with DIY Nightshade explanations. Will cost you less than $20 and a couple hours of your time.
Nightshade is convenient and cheaper but it's also permanent so if he wants it removed or don't like how it turns out he's SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetibob View Post
Congrats on the new truck! Just a question, not an attack...Why would you want to reduce your visibility at night in the front and from behind? I just never understood this blackout thing. I know it is popular but visibility (to me anyway) is more important than trying to look cool. I have run up on vehicles in bad weather or dark environments and taillights that are blacked out reduce the reaction time even at reduced speeds. Getting rear-ended for the sake of looking cool escapes me. I know a lot of folks go for the blacked out look. If it's what you want, consider the safety factor.
I've had blackouts on my old mirtsubishi evo and didn't effect light output at all but i would recommend to anyone to switch to led tails and brighter or hid heads just for more output but really if the blacked out stuff in ur opinion reduces output so significantly then maybe it's not the covers but ur vision because it's barely if at all reduces output and easily is still bright enough for it to meet legal light outputs but it's not for everyone I will be blacking out everything on my truck and I have yet to hear anyone say (well I was in an accident because I didn't see his lights because of them not being bright enough or any of that bs) it's all Personal preference
Old 06-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the run-on sentence about my lack of visual acuity and your personal experience and beliefs. If you honestly believe that there is no reduction in brightness from "smoked" or blackout lenses then so be it. I can see the difference easily. There may be brands out there that claim to or actually do not reduce luminescent levels but certainly that is not the case with all brands. Don't worry, your "coolness factor" is still intact. By the way, I had an eye examine recently. My eyesight has degraded a bit. It is now down to 20/20. For fun, I did a quick search on the internet. There is plenty of discussion about the degradation of light through the lenses. YMMV.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 PM

sorry wasnt trying to talk down on u in anyway, and sorry for the run on sentence...hard to keep up with punctuation on a cell phone. Also i didnt say they didnt reduce light at all, i said if it does its minimal. ive never seen them where they have been unsafely dark except for those done by people with the night shade that do way to many coats... i have found (i did this with my evo) if u take the lights and use window tint on them the light reduction is very minimal and gives it a great look for those of u that are looking for a cheap and effectinve way of darkening ur lights
Old 06-27-2012, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Great feedback guys and thanks for the recommendations. Is the Nightshade something I can pickup at Home Depot or Lowe's?

The safety thing is a factor, but I live in the Bay Area California and there are lights everywhere. I travel mostly during the daytime anyways, so I hear ya on the safety factor, but it shouldn't be much of an issue.

It's just about changing the ride enough to separate it a bit from the pack.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 AM

i dont recommend the nightshade just because its permanent but if thats the way u wanna go u will probally have better luck finding it at autozone, advanced auto, etc
Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettob View Post
Great feedback guys and thanks for the recommendations. Is the Nightshade something I can pickup at Home Depot or Lowe's?

The safety thing is a factor, but I live in the Bay Area California and there are lights everywhere. I travel mostly during the daytime anyways, so I hear ya on the safety factor, but it shouldn't be much of an issue.

It's just about changing the ride enough to separate it a bit from the pack.
It might not be an issue to you. It will become an issue when someone behind you doesn't see your brake lights and slams into you on a roadway traveling at the posted speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.