What tires and lift for highway - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 07:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What tires and lift for highway

2012 F250 CC SWB King Ranch. Looking for the "perfect" set up for a toy and hunting/Fishing truck not a daily driver, but will be driven significantly on highway. Must handle at least as good as stock, can't be any louder. I am thinking Carli back country 4.5" and Toyo MTs. Local shop pushes Toyos, big time. Second option is Icon 2.5" and Nitto Terra Grappler, I really would prefer to keep the factor KR wheels as long as they can handle the wider tire. also is the Icon dual stabilizer and panhard bar a must, looks to be? My mechanical skills are average, am I crazy to do this myself vs. paying a shop to do the work? I like to tinker. Thanks in advance for the input and ideas, fire away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you bought a $60,000 toy?

lol but really welcome and yes that set up would look sweet but those will be louder then stock, not to bad compared to others though
Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Don't you worry about it

I put the lift on my '08 and would definitely pay someone to do it if I had to do it again.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 PM

4.5" lift with 35" tires is about perfect.

I don't tow/haul anything, more of a play toy for me. My truck is only driven on the pavement, interstate and around town. Drives better than stock but definitely isn't as quiet. 35" MTs are going to make some noise going down the interstate.

The factory wheels are not going to look very good with a 4.5" lift and mud tires. Need wider wheels that stick out some to look right IMO.

I installed my lift, by myself in a afternoon. With some basic hand tools (air tools help), jack stands and a good floor jack you shouldn't have any problems. As long as you're comfortable doing a project like this and have all the necessary tools to get it done. Front track bar is the worst part, IMO. 3/4" sockets and breaker bar are almost a must have and it needs torqued to 406 ft lbs on reassembly.

Good luck and post pics when you're done.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:41 PM

carli pintop 2.5 and nitto trailgrapplers is how im going talked to dan at carli he said the pintop is the best option really
Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 PM

Point taken on the tires. Which are going to have less road noise and ride the best toyo MTs or Nitto Terra Grapplers? I assume the Nittos give they are an AT tire?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 AM

Not fair to compare the toyo open country M/T to the nitto terra grappler. Nitto trail grappler would be the fair comparison.

Trail grappler will be a bit quieter than the toyo, from what I've heard.

Terra grapplers will be much quieter, but have far less traction and not look nearly as good.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

I love my Toyos,they are quiet for the aggressive tread and wear very well.

I also use my truck for mainly hunting and fishing, most of my miles are traveling to different states to hunt or pulling boats around in my state.
For that reason I went with no lift, fewer problems down the road and the cash I save in fuel over the next 5 years or so will more than make up for any price increases and pay for some of the add-on's I will want for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.