Clearance Lights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clearance Lights

is it just me or do a lot of the new fords not have clearance lights? i mean im in the process of buying one of the last 2011 lariats on the lot and even though the trucks have been picked over they have 20 plus super dutys on the lot and mayve 3-4 of em have clearance lights and they are work trucks?

anyways talked to the dealer about getting them put on the truck im trying to buy on their dollar and they said no way because its a 400$ project..... seems kinda absurd for something that is a 55$ option.... anyone have any experience installing these? is it a pain? do you just drill holes in the roof to mount? or do you have to cut the shape of the light out?

i refuse to drive a one ton truck towing a goose with 18,000 with a truck with no damn clearance lights also i forgot truck has a moon roof probably makes it tougher right? i know theres room for em though i looked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 AM

1. It is available from the factory
2. I'd order the truck as such from the factory so you don't have to go pokin' holes in your roof
3. Find a different stealer -If they refuse to do any factory-based upgrade they obviously:
a. Don't know how
b. Don't have time
c. Want you to save money

From what i've seen on the Ford website (pictures on the Builder) is on the 250 Lariat it is optional, the 350 Lariat is standard (correct me if im wrong)
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Retired

I have heard of $400-600 for install. To do it yourself, you must measure the lights for spacing etc (someone on FTE made a template), cut the holes, remove the roof liner, install harness etc. I thought about it but do not want them bad enough that I am going to drill holes in my roof.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the truck is a 350 lariat no clearance lights and they have 3 other 350 lariats without them... and the dealer didnt say they wouldnt do them they just said they wouldnt throw them in the deal for free
Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and i cant ordera truck because i cant order 2011 and order it with the 12k dollars off in rebates im gettin if i order i pay 60k
Old 10-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same problem here, just bought 2011 and couldn't find one either with lights. I"m like Sgt though I will not put holes in new truck unless you do it at dealer and ford includes upgrade in your warranty. Did you ask dealer about warranty from leaks if they install?

Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I asked my dealer about adding the lights to my 08 SD and they said that it was around $450. They have to drop and replace the headliner, etc, etc. Plus, I worry that they wouldn't seal it properly or that it would rust. I didnt have them do it. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:38 PM

Its about the easiest upgrade I've done to my truck.
We did my 2002 and my buddies 2008 which has a sunroof both in the same day. Took a total of about an hour and a half including full wiring.
That was over a year ago, and we live in Vancouver BC where it rains about every day and we have had no problems with leaks.
Just buy the recon kit as it comes with a guide for measuring where the holes go.

Also, dont waste your time dropping the headliner. Remove both A pillars and let it sag just a little, thats all the room you'll need.

The 2008 with sunroof was actually easier because you could stand up through there to drill the holes.

Last edited by Joel; 10-05-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Look into these ones too

AtomicLED.com - Custom LED running lights for trucks
Old 10-05-2011, 06:30 PM

I Thought I read the Wires are already there for the Lights?

Biggest issue would be getting them straight,and then doing some kind of rusts prevention on the Drilled holes!

I also thought i read about Recon sending a template with their lights ,but Im not sure...

You Half to have a template If you want them Dead on or super close...

You should be able to fold this template in half and all the holes match/Line up ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.