Trimming the front air dam - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Exterior Discussion 6.7 Exterior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trimming the front air dam

Guys,

Anyone have any experience with trimming the front air dam on their truck? I know it makes at least a minimal impact on fuel mileage, but I'm not sure to what extend.

I don't like looking at that front air dam, and I'm not sure if it would look best completely removed, or just trimmed back?

Also wondering about the idea of painting the Adobe King Ranch lower body paint black to match the rest of the truck... any thoughts/opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 AM

I think your probably right about it catching a lot of air and affecting mileage. There is some kind of frame extension that runs right to the the back of the air dam and if you look at the 2wd vs 4wd trucks the air dam on the 2wd trucks is a lot shorter. It might have something to due with maximum bumper heights for crash safety. I know that Ford had to lower the front on the Raptor to meet the standards so they might have added this to the Super Duty for similiar reasons but not sure.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Take it off for a few weeks if you don't like the mileage difference then put it back on.

This is the first truck I've owned that I didn't remove it, though now that I think of it this is the first truck that I've owned that is still stock.
I can't say for sure about the mileage difference because I usually put larger tires on the same time I removed the dam.
I will probably keep mine on until I get new tires.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM

Maybe you could just buy a '08 air dam (if the holes line up with the '11 bumper). On the '08 trucks there was a smaller air dam than on the '10 trucks like mine. Ford apparently went to the larger air dam on the later 6.4 trucks for increased MPG
Old 03-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the 2wd is shorter I would look to go that way, as of painting your lower paint I would never do that cause it would lower your resale
Old 03-10-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkinzenbaw View Post

Also wondering about the idea of painting the Adobe King Ranch lower body paint black to match the rest of the truck... any thoughts/opinions?
...well...that's just crazy talk...that's what that is...
Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nthorseman View Post
...well...that's just crazy talk...that's what that is...
King Ranch Before and after - PowerStrokeNation

IF ya got the Money Why not

Far as the Front air Dam,i'm one that thinks they look better on than off,BUTT It's your truck and if you want it off,Thing to do is get some Conveyor belt and cut a strip as Deep as you want it to hang and Clamp it in place to mark the Hole to bolt it on!

I seen one other truck with it off and it needed something to cover the strip that the Dam bolts to as a Dress-up if ya Follow,You could also lay under the front of the truck and use a marker and just draw a line usen the Flange that hangs down as a Guide then remove the dam cut it and put the small strip back on to hide the Chrome bottom piece that the Dam Bolts to,That To me would look way better than running with nothing there...

But if it was me i would Save the Dam and find a Piece of Conveyor or simular Rubber to bolt in the Dams place to cover the Chrome Flange the Dam Bolts to! it Looks Like crap with that Flange showing...

Last edited by Lead Foot; 03-10-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:14 PM

I was just reading on another thread and they guys was talking about a Pinch weld cover I've never seen one but Know what a pich weld is,if that cover covers the pinch weld i bet it would work on that flange the Air dam bolts to also! :~) worth looking into anyway!

That Flange is chrome like the Bumper and shows up Big time when you remove the Air Dam...

The Holes in it is what makes it look bad IMHO...
Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 PM

I trimmed my air dam, after hitting some snow I broke it off on one side. Drove 35 miles to work that way.

When you remove the air dam it is not very pretty, plus there is an exposed wiring harness with the dam removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Trimming the front air dam-d30_8184.jpg  
Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=Lead Foot;2396135]King Ranch Before and after - PowerStrokeNation
IF ya got the Money Why not QUOTE]

Wow...that does look good when done right.

Of course, you could be like my grandfather and paint your 1960 Rambler yourself...it was a nice looking blue once he was done...after using a paint brush and roller to paint the car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.