Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is there a harness plug for cab lights?

14K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ceking35 
#1 ·
Howdy all!
I'm looking to add cab lights to my new F250 (with moon roof) and keep hearing conflicting info on where to plug/splice into. So I have two options:
  1. Buy OEM and plug harness in somewhere
  2. Buy aftermarket and splice into somewhere

Where is the harness plug? Otherwise, if I splice, can someone show me a picture of what wire to splice to?

Thanks guys!

#4 ·
Ok, I was able to get in it, slide the moonroof back and sort of pull the headliner down a little to peek toward the front of the truck. This picture here is looking in between the headliner and the roof of the truck. Inside is this wire taped up in 5 different locations across the width of the truck, actually right around where the cab lights might go. The sheet metal behind it is the roof of the truck where it meets the windshield.

So let me revise my question. Am I looking at the built-in wiring for future cab lights? Is the part taped up the plug for the lights?

#6 ·
Ok, I was able to get in it, slide the moonroof back and sort of pull the headliner down a little to peek toward the front of the truck. This picture here is looking in between the headliner and the roof of the truck. Inside is this wire taped up in 5 different locations across the width of the truck, actually right around where the cab lights might go. The sheet metal behind it is the roof of the truck where it meets the windshield.

So let me revise my question. Am I looking at the built-in wiring for future cab lights? Is the part taped up the plug for the lights?

#6 ·
The factory connector on the newer trucks is behind the headlight switch on the a-pillar. Just buy the factory harness. It makes the job much easier. I remember it had the Sirius antenna on part of it and maybe the air bag module over the door.

The harness cost me about $46 with a discount.

#8 ·
I doubt it. They'll skimp on crap like that if it wasn't ordered that way. It saves them $$$. It's not a common addition to most trucks unless ordered from the factory. I vaguely remember seeing the similar clips. I think it the line that may feed the passenger OH airbag module. I threw away my old harness a couple months back so I can't confirm.

#11 ·
What year model is your F250? I did this on my 2012 F250. Go with the factory harness and you can't go wrong. I went with the factory lights as well because I like everything stock. You will need to give the parts man your VIN number and he will be able to cross reference and get you the correct harness. If you have a crew cab, make sure to take the pillars off AND the plastic pieces between the front and rear doors (where the seat belts are), before trying to pull the headliner down. Otherwise you will crease the headliner. Don't ask me how I know!!!:wink::wink:

If I can help at all, let me know. Just remember to take your time and measure/re-measure before you drill.

There used to be a couple of very good write ups on how to do the cab lights yourself. I'll see if I can find the link and post it for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.