Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rear Facing Light Bar

9K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  HeavyAssault 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a rear facing light bar that is not attached to a headache rack or the back rail/lip of the bed below the window.
Was wondering if you could mount one somehow above the sliding rear window. Maybe this isn't possible without a headache rack.

#2 ·
Without a headache rack you would have to fabricate your own custom brackets, I'm guessing that you are thinking about a 40"-50" light bar.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#4 ·
I am looking for ideas to do the same thing. I would like to mount a light bar above the rear window to help with loading my trailer at night. Did you ever find any options? Do you have a link for where that photo came from?

#6 ·
So what would you suggest?

#7 ·
Well...

You can do cut in flush mounts into the bumper or tailgate
You can modify the tail light with a pod in the back up light space
You can install a brighter bulb (even an HID) in the back up light space
You can put LED pods under the truck or hanging from the bumper
You can put the lights on the trailer and hook them to a small battery with a solar charger

Just for starters.

#8 ·
None of those options work for what I need. I have upgraded the bulbs in the reverse lights, that helps, but is still too low to illuminate on the trailer itself.

I need something up high to light up a larger area. I have also looked into a mag mount of some sort, but would rather not have to deal with stowing and setting something up. A bar or similar mounted high enough to illuminate the area at the push of a button is my first choice.

#10 ·
I never did this since I don't have a need for a headache rack and that seemed to be the only option. I did add cubes under the bumper like others have done. Still would like to do this if there was a way without a headache rack.

I got the photo from Google long time ago.

#11 ·
Tube rail farm trailer. Anything like a cube or light bar on the trailer itself would have to be removable because its a multi-use trailer that sees a bit of everything. I have considered some strip led's down the sides. That would probably work, but I worry they would be torn up pretty quickly.

#14 ·
i have a 50" across the back of the cab of my work truck to light up back there when loading up the trailer( and the occasional tailgater) i love it and it does its job for lighting up the trailer.

Attachments

Reactions: Merlin2012
#19 ·
How did you mount that to the cab?

#17 ·
I have 3 and they are 1,4, and 7 and all 3 are big babies.

Mammal Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

#18 ·
Hey it adds character haha.

Reactions: Heavy_GD
#20 ·
I took out the headliner and trim and mounted it directly to the cab and sealed it with clear OSI. It has never leaked, rusted or let water in.

#21 ·
I did see one being used awhile back. Fella mounted it to a headache rack and was using it while trying pull a fella out a ditch. That big bar that was illuminating quite a bit of the work area. Considering the market out there even a 20" would be a big help for anyone needing the output while working.

If you need something in a temporary fashion using a mag mounts as the bases is an idea. Just run the harness for whatever length you need with a disconnect plug/harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.