So I figured its time to do a write-up of my projector install on the truck with a few pictures to help anyone out in the future. The projectors I ordered from The Retrofit Source
and all my OEM color match paint from Express Paint
The Retrofit Source.
- Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1)
- H1 3Five 5000K Bulbs
- Gatling Gun 2.0 Shrouds
- MotoControl H13 Harness
- 90mm Amber Halos
- OCI Butyl Rubber Glue
- 11Oz Aerosol Primer
- 11Oz Aerosol N1 Paint
- 11Oz Aerosol Clear Coat
I also had some switchback LED turn signals previously purchased. I had one can of paint for the headlights, It didn't seem like the can was as full as the clear coat and primer, I used the whole can of paint but about 3/4s of the other 2 cans. Id recommend ordering 2 cans of paint for anyone else planning to do this instal. Also I had a can of VHT night shade to do the reflectors on the side of the headlights.
The Retrofit source shipped the kit to me super fast and all the videos they provide to help with the install was super useful!
All in all the install took about 24 hrs of work, the hardest part by far was splitting the lights. It took about 2 hrs to get them apart and clean all the old sealant off them. Longest part was the painting, I used oven cleaner to strip the chrome off the headlights then wet sanded with some fine sand paper before painting. I put on 3 coats of primer with 10 mins between coats, then an hr of dry time before I put on 3 coats of paint with another hr dry time followed by 2 coats of clear. I put 4 coats of VHT on the reflectors with 2 coats of clear. I wanted to get them pretty dark, I used .5watt LED lights to try and keep the light coming through them to a minimum. So far I cant see any light through them during the day, I haven't looked at them at night yet.
I started off by pre heating the oven to 270 degrees and baked the lights for 7 mins. I started in the top outside corner and used a couple small flat head screw drivers slowly working my way around the corner until I could get both hands in there and pulled them apart. I kept re heating the back section of the lights once they were apart to keep the glue soft and peeled it out of the groove with my screw drivers. Once they were all apart I had to sand down the back of the headlight bowl where the threaded shaft will go through to attach the projector.
I then proceeded to stripping the chrome and painting.
I let them sit overnight for 24hrs to let the paint set completely. I started the projector install by gluing the halos inside the shrouds then gluing the shrouds onto the projectors. I used a glue called instant adhesive to first attach the halos, the stuff dries almost instantly and its clear, once they weren't moving I used a 2 part epoxy to glue them in there permanently. When I glued the shrouds to the projectors I made sure to line them up evenly so I could use the shroud to make sure I was putting the projector into the headlight bowl straight.
Once I was happy with the straightness of the projectors I tightened down the nut so the bulb mounting piece could be screwed on and used the 2 part epoxy to glue the nut and washer to the back of the headlight bowl. I did this just to ensure the headlight wouldnt move, it was probably a bit overkill but oh well I now know they will never be coming out. Only problem with doing it like this is you will never be able to adjust the cut off if they arent straight. Thats why I took extra time to make sure they were straight when I was installing them. Thankfully when I was all done and fired them up the cutoff was dead straight on both lights.
I used the OCI butyl glue to seal up the headlights, put them back in the oven at 270 for 7 mins to soften it then squeezed them shut until I could see the glue squish out around the lens. I let them sit over night again to cool and harden the glue. The next day I ran the wires for the halos and high beams out the rubber boot and siliconed it all up to prevent moisture getting inside.
The following day I ran all the wiring for the lights, this was a bit of a pain because the relay harness seemed to be a foot short. I ran it under the fan shroud zip tieing it to the big harness that runs under there. I epoxied the ballasts in the gaps below the headlights sort of behind the bumper. I also had to cut the main power wire and extend it about a foot to get it to reach the left battery. I then wired the halos to the turn signals and hooked everything up, testing them all first before finally bolting them in.
Overall Im extremely happy with the instal and quality of the projectors and HID kit. I would recommend this kit to anyone wanting to retrofit and suggest to paint the lights to while your in there for the extra bit of flash.