6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-19-2014, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
amp install with stock wiring

installing a 150 watt amp and sub in a 2012 F250. Can I use the wiring from the stock amp for constant power and enable/clip or should I use all new wiring? I know I "should" use new wiring, but will the stock wiring work?

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat CC
SCT 3015 with Punch It Performance tunes. Carli BackCountry 2.0 - Deaver Leaf Springs - Carli HMS - 35"x12.50x20 ProComp Xtreme MT2 - Fold-a-Cover - 40 gal American Aux fuel tank - SCT Livewire TS - Kicker 8" ported sub - Phoenix Gold 150 watt amp.
post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You need to run a new power wire from the battery with fuse in it. I replied to your question on the my thread with more details.

2013 F250 CC FX4
Truck Pics in Garage
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

My aftermatket amp suggests at least an 8-gauge wire for power so I would assume the power wire to the stock amp would not suffice. The also requires a 12v wire that "turns on" the amp when the radio turns on. The stock amp has the same wire but it's only 6V. So I think I will run a new 8 gauge wire and connect it to the headunit's "12V accessory" wire.

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat CC
SCT 3015 with Punch It Performance tunes. Carli BackCountry 2.0 - Deaver Leaf Springs - Carli HMS - 35"x12.50x20 ProComp Xtreme MT2 - Fold-a-Cover - 40 gal American Aux fuel tank - SCT Livewire TS - Kicker 8" ported sub - Phoenix Gold 150 watt amp.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun_driller View Post
My aftermatket amp suggests at least an 8-gauge wire for power so I would assume the power wire to the stock amp would not suffice. The also requires a 12v wire that "turns on" the amp when the radio turns on. The stock amp has the same wire but it's only 6V. So I think I will run a new 8 gauge wire and connect it to the headunit's "12V accessory" wire.
8 gauge wire is way overkill for a remote wire. Use 16-18 gauge wire for remote.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-2014, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I actually suggest sticking with the factory wire. The OEM amp is around 120watts and your aftermarket amp is probably around the same (Amps x Volts).

The OEM wire is going to be a higher quality copper than many aftermarket cheap cables and I believe it is 8 or 10awg.

Actually, before I put my foot in mouth, what AMP did you buy? model?

Its also cheaper and easier to simply wire in a SPST relay to your 6Vt lead to bump it up to 12vts for your amp remote lead. The relay go for about $2ea on amazon and about $5 at Radioshack.... and you only need 1

2016 F450 Platinum FX4 CC LWB
2016 Chaparral 360IBL Fifth Wheel: 15,500lbs
GONE - 2011 F250 FX4 6.7L Lariat Ultimate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode