Manual exhaust brake on 2014? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual exhaust brake on 2014?

With the 2015 coming out, it has a manual exhaust brake button and my question is that if you were to change to the gt37 turbo from the gt35, would you be able to add this switch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Wouldnt be as simple as just adding the switch, all functions are controlled through some sort of computer. Plus the wiring wouldnt be in the dash for the switch.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I thought the 14's already had an exhaust brake
Old 02-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

No thats new for the 15s

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 PM

yeah I understand it won't be easy but I wonder if it could be done. No the 14s don't have it, they do have engine braking.

Is the manual exhaust brake not an engine brake? is it an actual exhaust brake?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Premium Member

14s dont have engine braking either. All previous fords use tow/haul to supply supplemental braking. All it does is use the different gears to keep rpms high and defuel the engine, thus slowing the vehicle down, not very effectively though. Diesels naturally want to gain rpm, thats why this isnt very effective. Exhaust braking uses the vgt veins to block off the exh and put back pressure on the engine and slow it down, like a pacbrake. Engine braking uses the engines compression stroke against itseld, instead of setting up for a power stroke it doesnt fire the cylinder so the engine does all the work compressing the air but nothing happens in the cylinder after TDC to accelerate the piston back down. Like a jake brake.

As of this point there is no true engine break for any light vehicle. Alot of people call exhaust brakes engine brakes but they arent. Pacbrake has made the loadleash for the 6.7 cummins, sort of like a jake brake but it doesnt cycle the exh valves to use the compression, it just holds them open to sort of make a bunch of dead cylinders. Cool idea and its a start, eventually i hope they make one for other engines.

Last edited by HighHP; 02-17-2014 at 07:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HighHP For This Useful Post:
ceide4489 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 AM

hmmm, I mean I don't really mind the way that the truck works now, I just love the idea of an exhaust brake and having that functionality. A buddy's Cummins has it and he uses the thing driving around town since it is on 40s and prerunnered out.

I put the first load behind my '14 last week and it did great, nothing too heavy about 7k lbs but it still did awesome. Braking on the hills and such seemed fine to me, with all of the braking on the trailers now I felt it did great. I could definitely feel the trailer sway control as well.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

I drive a dodge with a 6.7 half my time for work and my personal f350 the other half and i do gotta say the fords braking capabilities are really lacking vs the dodge. I wish ford was more on the ball, theres no reason it takes 7 yrs to design a reliable exh brake. How does the sway control function? I havent read much on it yet. I still need to tow a trailer, think i might move some cars around for a buddy next week, 18' enclosed. Nothing huge but big enough.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:26 PM

Yeah I never understood why Ford didn't do it for the 6.7, they did redesign the entire engine and if I remember correctly people were asking for it on the 6.4.

I had the trailer weight unevenly distributed on accident but I didn't even notice it. It was a 16ft enclosed so I could feel it move around a little more even though it wasn't all that heavy.

The most that I felt it was in some bad weather and a Semi came by me and passed, I felt the wind of the truck push the trailer to the side and I could feel the braking being applied to get it back in track. I was pretty impressed with it actually.

Coming over some of the hill climbs though I would have preferred to have some sort of exhaust brake. I am hoping that some type of aftermarket system might come out. I know Banks had one for the 6.4 that allowed you to manually control the engine braking.

I do need to figure out which aftermarket fuel tank to add though because I can't keep up with one of our larger rigs that holds 150 gallons of fuel! haha I have to fill up a lot more often than he does.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

That is cool, sucks the situation you gotta be in for the sway control to work but nice to know its there for emergencies. They never put an exh brake on these trucks from fears of over speeding the turbo and blowing it up. New trucks have much bigger turbos, spin slower so it wont effect them as much. The way the exh brake works on all these factory systems it collapses the vgt veins in the turbo creating the back pressure pre turbo on the engine, but by limiting the flow it actually speeds up the velocity of the exh gasses entering the turbine housing and spinning the turbo faster. Pacbrake makes a pretty basic but good system, I know alot of 6.0 guys running them with success, maybe something to look into.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.