Build list for my retrofited headlights. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Build list for my retrofited headlights.

So im making this thread to show off the finished product, and give a parts list of everything needed to do a retrofit on your headlights.

for just retrofitting the headlights only the first part of this list is needed. I put some fake projectors in the turn signal housings and added some colorshift leds for looks.

I got everything from 4 different websites:

The Retrofit Source Inc
  • $305 Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini H1 Stage III Kit- H13/9008 motocontrol relay, Apollo 2 flat shrouds, 3five 5000k bulbs, 3five ballasts, butyl resealing glue.
  • $5 Jb weld quick epoxy
  • $15 Dummy projectors for turn signals
  • $15 Another set of Apollo 2 shrouds for turn signals

LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS
  • $60 Colorshift led strips part number: WFLS-RGB15-BK 50cm[19.5in]
  • $39 LDIR-RGB3 RGB Controller w/Remote (SCRW) Colorshift controller, any controller will work.

Automobile Touch Up Paint - Factory Matched Paints - Express Paint
  • $50 2 cans of UH Tuxedo black spray paint
  • $11 1 can of clear

HALO KIT - Custom Headlights
  • $50 Oracle amber/white switchback bulbs.

I think that's everything.

Now onto the actual retrofit. mounting the projectors into the bottom reflectors of the headlights is easy. The mini H1 projectors are made to be an easy retrofit. they have a threaded shaft on the back of them that just goes through the headlight bulb socket. the bottom reflector bowl is too thick for you to put a nut on the projectors shaft though so you just grind it down a little bit. included with the kit is a rubber washer and a metal cone shaped washer that centers the projector in the reflector. one hard thing is to try to get the projectors level. once the nut is tight on the projector the projector will be tight but its still possible to rotate the projector once the headlights are put back together. If that's all that you want in the retrofit then its time to epoxy the shrouds to the projectors and seal the headlights back up.

On mine I added the colorshift leds, turn signal projectors, and painted mine tuxedo black to match the truck.

For the colorshift leds it would have been easy to just add halos behind the shrouds, but I for the life of me couldn't find any 100mm colorshift halos. I don't know if they just don't make them or what. I decided to just find some colorshift flexible strips and mount them on the inside of the shrouds facing inwards. here's a picture showing what I'm talking about.

I jb welded those to the insides, and drilled holes in the back of the headlights to run the wires.

then here's how I mounted the turn signal reflectors. this was one of the more challenging parts. the dummy reflectors don't have the threaded shaft to mount them in the reflector since they are just basically the lens of the projector with a shroud around it. so I had to figure out a way to suspend the shrouds in there. the easiest way I figured out was to just wedge the shrouds in the reflectors until they were where I wanted them and drill a hole through the top of the reflector on the back side for a screw. I then just shot a self tapping screw through the top and did the same for the bottom. this worked out because the shrouds are so close to the reflector that you cant see the screws.

I painted everything black and tinted the reflector black then sealed everything up.

for the turn signal bulbs I used some switchback bulbs so that when my headlights are on it actually looks like all four projectors are lights. the colorshift leds are pretty straight forward to wire. each strip has 4 wires. Black, blue, green, and red. the led controller box has little ports that use screw clamps to hold the wires in. just splice all of the same color wires together and its done.

that's pretty much it. i'll post some pictures and videos under this.

that was before I aimed my headlights so the bottom projectors are pointed down, theyre more level now.

here's a video showing the turn signals. they ended up being a redish orange, but I like them.

here's one just showing some of the colors

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

badass. u inspire me lolz.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

Whats the benefit to running the Switchbacks in the projectors? I have them in my stock headlights right now but I would like to do this same projector kit for the headlights, I was just planning to leave the turn signals alone.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHP View Post
Whats the benefit to running the Switchbacks in the projectors? I have them in my stock headlights right now but I would like to do this same projector kit for the headlights, I was just planning to leave the turn signals alone.
Nothing really. I just put the extra projector up there to look different. They work the same as before. Having the projector lens in front of them might make them more visible since they are in a painted reflector.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

Thats what I was thinking. I plan on painting the turn signal reflector but wasnt sure how that would effect the brightness. But the leds are deffinitely way brighter then the regular bulbs. I guess ill just have to try it out. So what all from your list is needed to just put projectors in the headlights

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking. I plan on painting the turn signal reflector but wasnt sure how that would effect the brightness. But the leds are deffinitely way brighter then the regular bulbs. I guess ill just have to try it out. So what all from your list is needed to just put projectors in the headlights

All you would need is the first item from the retrofit source. The stage 3 kit has options you can choose like the Kelvin rating of the bulbs and shrouds. Plus if you wanted you can get Amber colored halos for the headlight and wire them to blink with your turn signals for a little extra light, if the painted housing aren't bright enough.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

Right on thats a good idea with the halos! Do you aim the projectors in the light or just mount them and use the oem headlight aiming? How long did install take?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

Also what did you do about that side amber marker light in the headlights?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Right on thats a good idea with the halos! Do you aim the projectors in the light or just mount them and use the oem headlight aiming? How long did install take?

The projectors have a cone shaped washer that centers them in the hole. You just have to try to get them rotated level by eye, but the up and down is just adjusted by the stock adjustment gear. You can still twist them after the lights are back together if they aren't level. The longest part is taking the headlights apart and painting them. Installing the projectors and all only takes a couple hours if that.

Quote:
Also what did you do about that side amber marker light in the headlights?
I popped them out and just gave them a coat of niteshade paint. Mine are really dark and you can still see the market light when it lights up.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

I had my last trucks headlights apart to paint so I know the pain in the *** that can be. Do you just leave them so they can rotate or somewhat get the level then glue them in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.