Rear View Camera Fuzzy Screen? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 09:27 PM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rear View Camera Fuzzy Screen?

I've been experiencing lateral lines of fuzz traveling vertically across my navigation screen when my rear view camera is engaged. Also, I have the rear park aid guidelines turned off, but sometimes they appear when the screen is acting especially glitchy. Other than a random isolated malfunction, there are a few things that come to mind when I think of reasons why this started happening.

First, there have been unusual cold fronts coming through Texas around the time this started happening which left my truck covered in icicles on multiple occasions.

Second, I have an aftermarket rear tailgate emblem which is adhered to the rear back-up camera housing with 3M double sided tape. Maybe ice or water collected somehow differently than with the stock emblem. This is not likely to be the cause but it's probably something the dealer would constitute as to void the warranty. I can switch back to the stock emblem easily if I end up needing to go to the dealership.

The most likely cause relates to my installation of a rear wheel well liner which required the removal of two white plastic push pins which held a 1" diameter black wrapped wire cluster to the frame of the truck. I was forced to remove these white plastic push pins with an easy removal tool in order to secure the wheel liner to the frame of the truck with push pins that came with the liner. I don't think I punctured the black wrapped wire cluster with the easy removal tool but I did not feel the need to re-secure the wire cluster to the truck frame as it did not seem as if could go anywhere anyway.

Anyone else have a problem with a fuzzy or glitchy rear view camera screen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
I've been experiencing lateral lines of fuzz traveling vertically across my navigation screen when my rear view camera is engaged. Also, I have the rear park aid guidelines turned off, but sometimes they appear when the screen is acting especially glitchy. Other than a random isolated malfunction, there are a few things that come to mind when I think of reasons why this started happening.

First, there have been unusual cold fronts coming through Texas around the time this started happening which left my truck covered in icicles on multiple occasions.

Second, I have an aftermarket rear tailgate emblem which is adhered to the rear back-up camera housing with 3M double sided tape. Maybe ice or water collected somehow differently than with the stock emblem. This is not likely to be the cause but it's probably something the dealer would constitute as to void the warranty. I can switch back to the stock emblem easily if I end up needing to go to the dealership.

The most likely cause relates to my installation of a rear wheel well liner which required the removal of two white plastic push pins which held a 1" diameter black wrapped wire cluster to the frame of the truck. I was forced to remove these white plastic push pins with an easy removal tool in order to secure the wheel liner to the frame of the truck with push pins that came with the liner. I don't think I punctured the black wrapped wire cluster with the easy removal tool but I did not feel the need to re-secure the wire cluster to the truck frame as it did not seem as if could go anywhere anyway.

Anyone else have a problem with a fuzzy or glitchy rear view camera screen?

Not trying to freak you out but.....I had a 2011 6.7 that developed same problem. After going to the dealership 3 times they finally put a whole new wiring harness on. Worked "ok" for a month or so but then started doing it again. When I recently traded the truck it was still having problems with camera.
Mine started out with just the fuzzy lines but soon started going completely black or would show up as crazy colors.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:26 PM
POWERCHOKER

Damn, well, it's nice to know I'm not the only person who's experienced this. Yeah I'm at the fuzzy line stage with major glitchy episodes and the rear park-aid guidelines appearing when they've been disabled. I better put the factory tailgate emblem back on and take it to the dealership. It's time to find out if my dealership is the kind that will blame issues on aftermarket modifications such as my MBRP Filter-Back Dual Exhaust, Rugged Liner rear wheel liners, Pro Comp lift kit, etc.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Damn, well, it's nice to know I'm not the only person who's experienced this. Yeah I'm at the fuzzy line stage with major glitchy episodes and the rear park-aid guidelines appearing when they've been disabled. I better put the factory tailgate emblem back on and take it to the dealership. It's time to find out if my dealership is the kind that will blame issues on aftermarket modifications such as my MBRP Filter-Back Dual Exhaust, Rugged Liner rear wheel liners, Pro Comp lift kit, etc.
I never disabled my guidelines so i could have had that problem as well but didn't know it. My dealership is really good about warranty stuff so nothing was said about any aftermarket components. Good luck man
Old 02-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just had mine updated for some radio issues. The update ended up making some changes to the back up camera. Run to the dealer for an update. Make sure it's not a software issue first. If that doesn't resolve it, might be time to dig in a little deeper and be glad you don't have to swap your dpf back on just yet!

Brett
Old 02-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

^^ good idea too. I'm not sure if they updated my software when I was having camera issues or not . If I had to put that exhaust junk back on to get warranty work done I would be finding another dealership to do business with!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:20 PM
POWERCHOKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
I just had mine updated for some radio issues. The update ended up making some changes to the back up camera. Run to the dealer for an update. Make sure it's not a software issue first. If that doesn't resolve it, might be time to dig in a little deeper and be glad you don't have to swap your dpf back on just yet!

Brett
Haha yeah I definitely need to get this taken care of before I delete. How ridiculous is it that I even have to take that into consideration?..."Yeah it looks like you used a programmer and that was the likely cause of your issue"...

Maybe I'm just being harsh and they'll take of it after the 3rd or 4th try...
Old 02-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Haha yeah I definitely need to get this taken care of before I delete. How ridiculous is it that I even have to take that into consideration?..."Yeah it looks like you used a programmer and that was the likely cause of your issue"...

Maybe I'm just being harsh and they'll take of it after the 3rd or 4th try...
If you dont mind driving, i use team ford in navasota. They are awesome. Small town dealer with great service. The parts/service manager is named kathy i think. My personal rule is not to deal with women in regards to service for my truck but shes great. They also have $80 oil changes.

They did mine today while i waited. About an hour.

Screw big houston dealers

Brett

Brett
Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 PM
POWERCHOKER

If I get fed up with Mac Haik, I will definitely check them out. There's also a Friendly Ford in Crosby which I think is also a small type dealership. I may have passed through Navasota on my way to College Station. I'll have to see which one is closer. Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:57 PM
POWERCHOKER

Does anyone know if I need to make an appointment to get this rear view camera issue fixed or could I just show up at the dealership?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.