My HID Retrofit Project - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My HID Retrofit Project

Okay guys, I'm never one to post up walk-throughs or threads about any of my modifications or projects but I've decided to do one for my HID retrofit. I went the route of LED bars on the front which has been more of a pain than it's worth. So after reading through Marshall's (mts678) guide I decided to take advantage of TRS's black Friday sale and bought the following parts for 25% off:

Ballasts: Morimoto 5Five (50w) D2S
Bulbs: Morimoto 5Five 5000K D2S
Halos: Morimoto XB LED (White)
Projectors: LHD (3" Lens)
Shrouds: Apollo
Wire Harness: Relay: H13

Marshall was able to get ahold of some spare headlight housing for me. I baked them open yesterday. The ideal temperature was about 235 degrees for 18-20 minutes. The tools you'll want are a 5mm socket (to remove the bolt in the corner), box cutter, 2 flat head screwdrivers (width of head doesn't matter too much), a putty knife, and a lot of patience.

I started the process by cutting the glue along the seam at the bottom of the housing, then took the putty knife to the grill side, slicing deep into the perm-seal glue. Don't dig too deeply into the side because you'll do what I did and slice through the plastic. Once you have this cutting done, you can start to pry the lights open. If the glue is not soft at this point, stick the lights back in the oven. Dig the screwdriver far back into the bottom section of the housing, make sure you have the tip behind the edge of the housing before you start to pry the lens off. Do not worry about bending the black flared piece above the lens, as long as your housing is still warm you won't have to worry about it snapping. Once you have the lens peeled back a bit, stick your second screwdriver next to it and continue the process in the direction of the grill side of the housing. I found this method to be the safest because that side is flat. I worry that if you go down the fender side the shape will become deformed and more difficult to reseal.

Here's a picture of the housing open

I ran into one issue with these particular housings. One of the plastics bolts that holds in the lower reflector, and is used for aiming was snapped:

I did some research and found this product called Q Bond online, it looks amazing and for $12 I think I can take the risk.

I'll try make some more progress tomorrow if I have the time. Half of the reason I made a thread is so that, hopefully, some of you guys give me the push to continue through the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Subscribed!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think the hardest part of the retrofit is building up the courage to finally start the project. Good job, keep going and take your time to get it done right.

Question: Why not just find that broken part online and order it so you don't run the risk of having to open up the lights again later after all your hard work?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Emergency Services

I tried looking on ford parts and it's either the full assembly or nothing lol. I ordered Q Bond, it was $13.99 with free shipping for 2 sets of the glue with the bonding powder. Hopefully I get it sometime next week. The big task for today is to disconnect the reflectors without breaking the other adjustment tabs off

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-27-2013, 08:31 AM

Which Apollo shrouds did you get? I ordered the Apollo 3s and they are a lot bigger than I expected. They will fit in the bottom reflector but will have to be cut down top and bottom to fit in the turn signal reflector.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the post. I'll be watching because I will be doing this in the near future.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbybc12 View Post
I tried looking on ford parts and it's either the full assembly or nothing lol. I ordered Q Bond, it was $13.99 with free shipping for 2 sets of the glue with the bonding powder. Hopefully I get it sometime next week. The big task for today is to disconnect the reflectors without breaking the other adjustment tabs off

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I think I used a smaller flathead to pop them off. You might have to buy a trashed headlight to get them parts, ford or anybody else don't sell parts of the headlights (not 100% sure but pretty sure) you could buy an 05 headlight for cheap they have the same ball stud type bolts in them

Old 12-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonC View Post
Which Apollo shrouds did you get? I ordered the Apollo 3s and they are a lot bigger than I expected. They will fit in the bottom reflector but will have to be cut down top and bottom to fit in the turn signal reflector.

I went with the standard Apollos, that seems to be the norm for these trucks. Although, I read through Tony's project and loved the look of the Panamera shrouds with the Halos. I'll see how these turn out and make a decision. Not looking forward to trimming the shrouds at all though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
I think I used a smaller flathead to pop them off. You might have to buy a trashed headlight to get them parts, ford or anybody else don't sell parts of the headlights (not 100% sure but pretty sure) you could buy an 05 headlight for cheap they have the same ball stud type bolts in them
I might end up doing that if this Q Bond doesn't work well. I think I can probably pick up a headlight set from that age for like $40. I have the backing in the oven right now, removing the rest of this glue from the channels. Any idea how these ball studs snap out? It looks to me like they have to be pushed down and then turned to slide out, but I can't be certain.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:59 PM

Keep it up, looking to do this with the new lamps. Haven't seen a DIY on the new models. You thinking dual projectors or single in each lamp?
Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonC View Post

Have you started yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.