Odd black box under dash of new truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Odd black box under dash of new truck

Hey gang, I'm hoping someone can help me ID something I found under the dash of my truck ('14 F250) while I was searching for the upfitter switch wires. There is a small black box (about 3"x5" wide and 1" thick) with the word/name "Pursuit" molded into it. It's zip-tied to the through-firewall wiring harness. It has several ribbon connectors going to it. One of the connectors goes to a small pair of lights mounted to the bottom of the dash and another goes to a relay that's tapped into some wires under the steering column with scotch locks. It looks like some kind of aftermarket alarm box or something, but this is a brand new truck. The installation is pretty poor and a search here, on Google and other sites got me nowhere. Does anyone have any idea what this is, what it does and why I can's find any reference to it?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Might check out this site...Advent : A Leader in Automotive Electronics. They have a line of Pursuit products that include remote start, security, and vehicle tracking. Maybe something the dealer did and forgot to remove prior to selling or he forgot to order with remote start and added? Just a thought.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to wvrrcarknocker
If the installation is poor, i'd return to the dealer with it and depending on how annoyed I was, demand that it either be removed and the OE system installed/replaced, or expect a new truck. Even if whatever it is doesn't bother you, poor quality installation is an eyesore at best, a safety hazard at worst. Scotchlocks are one of the poorest ways to install anything.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the link and advice. After looking at Advent's website, it looks like what I have is their remote-start integration module. The odd little light on the bottom of the dash is apparently used to program the system and provide visual feedback during programming. I'm going to try to clean up the installation under the dash. My dealer is a ways away from me and I trust myself to do clean wiring FAR more than some hourly tech at a dealership. I'll add this to my gripe-list to lean on them for a favor down the road.

Thanks again you guys!!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:22 AM

Brand new truck...and dealer butchered in a after market remote start system..?? It would be going back.....
Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 AM

I would take it back and tell them the deals off as they didn't make you aware of this at time of purchase. My concern would be this leading to an electrical issue down the road and Ford denying your claim due to an aftermarket device installed on your new truck, but that's me.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've had the truck for 3 weeks and I've got nearly 3000 miles on the thing. It's not like I'm just going to "take it back". I don't see that as a realistic or viable option. Combined with the fact that I've already got my bedliner, GN hitch and fuel rig in it, the cost to me would be greater than it would be to them to try to give me a new truck. At this point, the only realistic option is to make sure they know that I'm aware and unhappy about the situation and use that as leverage in a future transaction. The operation of the system appears to be flawless, despite the poor quality of the installation (which I can fix myself, without the loss of my truck).
Old 12-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would lean on them anyhow, tell them you had to fix it, make em give you a few oil changes or something, the reason they do this ****ty work is because we as consumers let the get away with it. If I have learned anything about dealing with ford its that You have to be a hard *** about everything, and document everything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
I've had the truck for 3 weeks and I've got nearly 3000 miles on the thing. It's not like I'm just going to "take it back". I don't see that as a realistic or viable option. Combined with the fact that I've already got my bedliner, GN hitch and fuel rig in it, the cost to me would be greater than it would be to them to try to give me a new truck. At this point, the only realistic option is to make sure they know that I'm aware and unhappy about the situation and use that as leverage in a future transaction. The operation of the system appears to be flawless, despite the poor quality of the installation (which I can fix myself, without the loss of my truck).
I think you are on the right track. But absolutely get it documented. Take some pictures of the current setup if able, and get some form of acknowledgement from the dealer as to the specific situation.

Better safe than relying on memory from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.