Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ford Remote Access

76K views 284 replies 69 participants last post by  cr0ntab 
#1 ·
I've been waiting for something like this to finally come out! I know that Viper has SmartStart and I've installed the Compustar Drone in a few cars (I actually have one laying at home), but since I'm anal and my truck has the factory remote start, I want factory integration. I've sold and installed hundreds of remote start units over the years and I've looked at the installation instructions for the DL3Z-19G364-A. Everything is plug and play and as far as I can tell if the vehicle has the OEM remote start enabled then there is really no need for the dealer. Every mention of Remote Access says trip to the dealer required but for what? Sim card activation? I would think this was done through the website with the SIM number and pin during registration. Most of the dealers I've called never heard of Remote Access, one told me Ford doesn't have such a thing even after I gave them a part number, and the only one to give me a price was $580 for the unit and a day for installation. Does anyone here have any knowledge of this? If not I may have to buy it online and try it out myself.

#4 ·
subscribed

#5 ·
Definitely subscribed. Just read an article that it works on the F150, so it has to work on the SD.

#9 ·
What are saying, if you have a remote start the remote access will work, or if you have a remote start you don't need the remote access?

#8 ·
Subscribed....

#10 · (Edited)
UPDATE

I got the package today!!! Hardware installation took about 10 minutes including programming the RMST unit. I do have the factory remote start which means the truck has the hood switch, the antenna installed above the glove box (which I don't know why this system needs it) as well as having remote start enabled in the ECU. Where I am stuck now is at the dealer login. It turns out the SIM card needs to be activated through the PTS webpage although it doesn't tell you this specifically in the instructions. Only after you finish all of the "tests" (lock, unlock, start, stop) will you get a PIN number to use with the SIM to signup for service. Since my three local dealers won't help is there anyone here that can login to their PTS and run my info through? I think a Paypal donation would be in order for helping.

UPDATE!!!!--
Well thanks to my friendly parts guy at the dealership I am up and running. He followed the instructions, click click, tap tap and done. Neither one of the parts guys have even heard of Remote Access so they both had a learning experience today. Within minutes of me walking in they had wireless communication with my truck. Two more minutes and they were verifying that each function worked. Two more minutes and I had a PIN number to go with the SIM number. Two more minutes and I was controlling with my phone. I'm a happy camper. Good news too, if someone wants to do their own install and they can't find someone to do the activation these guys would be willing to help. Everything can be done over the phone.

#12 ·
This is according to the Ford Social webpage found here.
Ford Social: Remote Access Makes Your Smartphone a Virtual Keyfob

"Right now, the Remote Access system is available on the F-150, Super Duty®, Edge, Explorer and Lincoln MKX if your vehicle is a 2011 Model Year, or newer. You can also purchase it if you drive a 2013 model year or newer Taurus, Flex, Lincoln MKS or Lincoln MKT. Contact your local dealer for more information on pricing and availability. More vehicles will be added in the future, so stay tuned!"

So yes it will according to this statement.

#16 ·
After three days the Remote Access will power down the receiver (cell phone for lack of a better term). If that happens you will have to wake up the receiver. Here's a snippet from the FAQ from www.fordremoteaccess.com.

"I attempted to use my system after my vehicle was parked for more than 3 days and it responded that my vehicle was in Power Save Mode and I needed to schedule a wake-up time, what is the reason for this?
Your system is designed to protect your vehicle from draining its battery when the vehicle is parked for an extended period of time. In order to preserve your vehicle’s battery the Remote Access system will go into a "sleep" mode. Your Remote Access system can be "woken" from this mode in two ways. One is to turn the ignition on in the vehicle using your factory key or you can schedule a "wake-up" time through your Remote Access mobile phone app or web portal. Please note that it may take up to twelve hours for the "wake-up" process to complete. Please see the on-line User's Guide for more information on Power Save Mode."

#18 ·
Scooter,

where did you order the parts from? If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

Andrew

#20 ·
Damn! That's a real kick in the balls that GM offers it for free and we're stuck paying $400 and doing the install ourselves. Wouldn't trade my truck for the world still

#22 ·
Does anyone know if the key is left in the ignition if this will work? I know with some ford remote start systems, if the key is left in the ignition, the key fob remote will not start the vehicle. I vary rarely take keys out of the ignition, just lock and unlock with door key pad( love that feature). Now if I can start vehicle with phone, I will be set.

#25 ·
I have 230,000 miles on my 08 superduty and maybe have pulled the keys out 3 times. I am in Wisconsin. If they want my truck they are going to take it one way or the other is the way I see it. I hate having keys in my pockets. I think the Keypad is one of the best features on Fords. I am assuming that they must have a patent on it, cause I have not seen another manufacture use it.

#26 ·
I definitely love the key pad. Its an awesome feature. The last two places I've lived haven't afforded me the opportunity to leave my keys in my truck. Brownsville Texas and Connecticut where I currently live. But I do lock my keys in my truck on base. Prevents me fro. Leaving my keys on the boat by accident.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.