Going to take a leap on the new Parrot HU - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Made In America

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going to take a leap on the new Parrot HU

So I am I the market for a new double din. I really find most brands out there not nearly worth the price, for what you can do with them. I origionally wanted to do the tablet install but for lack of time and a few other issues that deterred me I settled for this similar option. So for those who are not familiar:

Here is the product
Parrot ASTEROID Smart - Navigation, Apps, multimedia and Bluetooth® hands-free

And here is an excellent write up about it
(car audio) Parrot ASTEROID Smart - xda-developers

Sonicelectronix has best price I have found. Crutchfield has very mixed reviews, but the reason I am confident is that 1. This is basically an android tablet intended for car audio use so many updates will come 2. I am pretty tech savvy so I am not concerned with possibly rooting it. A lot of the bad reviews are from people who can barely navigate through a pioneer HU and complain about simple things that can be rectified with minimal knowledge.

All in all I basically just find this unit having the most potential for expandability and updating, if you are willing to do some research and mabye play around wit some developer tools, which I am.

In any case, will be ordering today after work and will report back with a write up after the install. One question though, is the very expensive harness/module required for install? It has sokething to do how the radio shuts off whem the door is opened and key off. Which I do not like. Anyone else looking into this product?

Last edited by Guardian29; 05-16-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm surprised I haven't heard of this before, especially since I keep up with engadget pretty well.... either way, I am very interested in knowing how this turns out for you.
Do you have the nav unit now?
It seems like the nav unit handles a lot of stuff and I would be worried that something odd might stop working right if an aftermarket unit was installed.

Please, let us know how things go.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does this HeadUnit have AM/FM radio and does it still utilize steering wheel controls and Sync?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Diesel View Post
Does this HeadUnit have AM/FM radio and does it still utilize steering wheel controls and Sync?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

It does have an am/fm tuner. To be able to use the steering wheel controls you have to buy another device that splices into your steering wheel wires and communicates with the head unit ($99).
What I am most excited about is the ability (once rooted) to be able to use apps like Netflix, plex, Google Music, Dropbox, etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

update? 10 chars
Old 06-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Subscribed.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Edit: I didn't realize this was the 6.7 forum. So disregard some of the installation talk.

I couldn't find a lot of info on this forum about this head unit so I figured I would contribute for those interested.

I just got this head unit the other day. I was really torn between getting the Clarion nx602 and the Parrot Asteroid Smart. After getting the Parrot installed and partially setup I am so glad I went with this over any non Android head unit. The potential is just awesome. So far I have Pandora, Netflix, Youtube, Google maps, Gmail, and Play store installed. I'll be away from my truck for a few days but when I have it back I'll be looking into installing a custom launcher and boot animation etc. Heres a few pics of my install. I had an old sub and amp to throw in too. Still have a little work to do to get it more secure but it all works.

Btw I hear everyone always saying that the trimming you need to do to make a double din fit is so easy and takes 5 mins. Not in my case. Partially my own fault but it took at least an hour. I bought the only Dremel that Walmart carried since I had a few gift cards. I didn't realize it was battery powered only so I kept having to wait to recharge the battery pack. Also that thing makes a huge mess so after seeing all the plastic dust covering everything in my truck I pulled out my dash to finish it up and I had a hard time disconnecting a few of the wires from the back.

Other than things taking longer than expected which is actually the norm for me, at least the first time, the install went well. Here is how to bypass the parking brake safety thing that only lets you do most things when the truck is parked and with the parking brake engaged. There is a light green wire that is for the parking brake. Just connect that in with the black ground wire from the head unit and the wiring harness or ground it to any bolt or whatever you want and it will let you use any function you want at any time. I ran my power wire along the drivers side and just popped the plastic thing off that you would step on to enter the vehicle. It feels like its going to break but I had to pull it really hard and it popped out and snapped back in when I reinstalled. i did the same for the passenger side when I ran the rca and remote line.

There is no dedicated amp turn on wire from the head unit. You hook up the amp remote wire to the blue "power antenna" wire and it will power up the amp as soon as the head unit powers up regardless of what source your listening too and also power it off about 10 seconds after the head unit turns off.

Oh and as far as sound quality I am running stock speakers and they get a lot louder without distortion now as opposed to being powered by the stock head unit. The bluetooth works awesome and I only had to set it up once and now it automatically syncs every time i get in the truck. Call quality is about as good as it gets for a bluetooth phone call. You can tell your talking to someone in a car. Its not terrible but It just sounds a little off. I think that is just the downfall of a speakerphone type call

Any questions just ask

[

Last edited by newbstroker0373; 12-31-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.