How Long Can I Run the Ice Chest? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 07:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How Long Can I Run the Ice Chest?

Need an electrical wizard out there.
I have a 12V refridgerator which draws .96 Ah/hr at expected ambient tempuratures.
Assuming the (duel) batteries in my 2013 F250 are healthy and the outside tempurature is around 75F how long should I be able to safely run the fridge before being able to start the 6.7 scorpion would become questionable?
There is about a 20 foot always-hot line (don't know guage but with a 15amp fuse) running from the battery to the 12V receptical in the back of the camper.
Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There are a lot of variables in that that you didn't mention. What you need to know is the ah capacity of your batteries, multiply by 2 because you have 2 batteries. Using a Diehard platinum as a example, you have 75 ah x2 at 20 hours which means you can draw 150 amps for 20 hours before they are dead. Now this assumes that the batteries are fully charged, new and the temperature is fairly normal. Now you need to figure out the required minimum power to get the truck to crank and replicate the exact same conditions, ie. no vent running, no lights on, same amount of time to crank, etc. Subtract this amount of power from the 150 ah c/20 rate and you will be in the ballpark.

Basically .96 ah would take 156.25 hours to kill the batteries by itself. Typically you don't want to go below 50% to avoid a premature battery failure, less if it's a starting battery. Let's say 80% soc to be safe so 150 ah x .2 / .96 would be 31.25 hours. But don't forget the truck's normal draw when off, typically >.05a but not sure on the 6.7 so 150 ah x .2 / (.96+.05) is 29.7 hours. To play it safe, you could move for a 90% soc which would be 150 ah x .1 /(.96+.05) which would be 14.85 hours. I would use a 15% correction factor for unknown condition of batteries and draw so 14.85 x .85 is 12.6 hours.

On the other hand you could just disconnect one battery so you know you have one good one to help start the truck. It's not a good long term solution but wouldn't hurt if you just did it a few times.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^^^???? What he said. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 PM

Thanks JSchuricht - I'll limit use to 8 hours on battery power to be on the safe side.

Last edited by JSolve; 04-20-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.