Firestik Installed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Firestik Installed

So, before I start with the pics... I know everything is filthy!

On we go then...

Parts:
FireStik MU-8R9 Nine foot single antenna coaxial cable
Firestik SS274A Adjustable Stainless Steel Hood-Trunk Channel Antenna Mount
Firestick II 4 feet Tunable Tip - Black

I removed the wipers and the cowl and then started the install.

Here you can see the SS274A mount. It swivels on one axis so it can be adjusted level, provided you get the other axis level. I simply marked the location with a Sharpie, drilled a couple of pilot holes and screwed it down.

Here you can see where I routed the coax through the firewall, right behind the little vibrator looking thing. Ford is a cruel god because they provided us with pass thru wires, suggesting they want us to mod our trucks, but then packed things in so tightly that you can't fit an arm in there. So, you can see that I tore the rubber a little. What I really wanted was a clean cut, but with the limited space, that is what I got. I will have to seal it up somehow.

I was going for a professional looking install in the cowl. I didn't quite get it, but I am happy with the result. I may use a grommet to help clean up the lines of the hole. It was difficult to figure out where to drill with this configuration. I ruined a couple of the cowl clips because I had to drill, test fit, drill, test fit, ad nauseum, but they are easily replaced at Autozone.

This shows where I brought it through the firewall on the inside. I routed it up along the trim piece to stay away from the brake, steering, etc. I just zip tied it to existing small cable bundles as I worked it over to the cup holder.

I am working on an idea for a metal piece that will come from behind the dash to hold a holster and the CB... for now, the cable is sitting near the cup holders. CB comes in this Wednesday.

Finished product! Now I just need Carli Pintop, Fuel Hostages, 37s, spare tire holder, flares, winch, air compressor, and a Barrett mounted to the roof....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

Looks like a professional job, but as a CB fan and a Superduty owner, I am concerned with your antenna swaying in the wind causing damage to cowl and damage to CB by losing ground there. It is a great looking install, just something I wouldnt chance. Keep me updated on how it performs. Picture looks like antenna is closer to 5 ft. Hows SWR's look? Neophrene washer on cab if your losing ground on cowl? Let me know howb well it works, I got 6 weeks till Tiara is built for a headache rack, prolly install my stuff there and work forward. Still havent decided where to mount my CB much less my kicker

Last edited by Tuxedoblack; 11-11-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 PM

I mounted it to the truck with the bracket and the two sheet metal screws shown in picture 1. I don't see how I'll lose ground there. Did you think I just mounted it to the cowl or does it still concern you? I'm open to ideas...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

My apologies after looking again I see bracket nice job hiding it, looks professional.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM

No apologies necessary. I appreciate the feedback. I did go ahead and check for ground with a multimeter after your post. Everything checked out fine.

I also installed upfitter switches and hooked my CB to number 1 AUX. Everything looks clean works great!
Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

where is unit itself mounted my Lariat has somany storage pouches I am not sure yet where to mount... any great ideas? External speaker?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM

I installed it in the useless flat area on top of the dash. I routed the cables up through the dash-removal access port on the top of the dash so it looks fairly clean. I mounted the CB with some extreme rough surface Velcro and tightened down the screws on the mounting bracket so it doesn't rock. It seems pretty stable, though I haven't taken it offroading yet. My plan is to leave it there until I decide if that is the permanent spot, then actually screw it to the dash. The cool part is that the sloped plane where it mounts is sloped away from the driver so that if I ever decide to get rid of it, the holes will not be visible from my position in the truck. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 AM

I also made a mount out of some kind of metal hanger bracket that I had in the garage. It mounts up nice and tight against the dash and doesn't move. I may pull it off and paint it black.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

That looks like a good place, now where we gonna hide the linear? lol
Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebeller View Post

I also made a mount out of some kind of metal hanger bracket that I had in the garage. It mounts up nice and tight against the dash and doesn't move. I may pull it off and paint it black.

Tebeller, how you liking the setup now that you have had it for awhile? I am thinking of doing the hood antenna mount as well. What length antenna are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.