Aftermarket sterio decisions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 09:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aftermarket sterio decisions

K heres another speaker thread sorry for starting another but i didnt want to intrude on another persons thd.... Heres what me and a good friend are kind of thinking:
Focal doors... Component 6.5 3way(with 4") in front
6.5 coax in rear
Unsure of what amp to run, still undecided on sub setup. Also im reading about these..... The jl cleansweep( how does everyone running this like it ?) also the audison bit 1 or bit 10..... Pricey but real technical apparently and u can tune them....

Any input i will gladly accept!
Thinking shallow mount subs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok heres my two cents. I would go with the audison bit ten d or one (depending on your needs. I started off with an lcq-1 and could never get the hiss to go away. When going to the bit ten d the hiss is gone and i thought going active wasnt gonna improve sq dramatically but wow what a difference. The way you can tune the bit ten is amazing, especially if your like me and use an rta to tune Ive never heard focals but my milles are awesome. I had rockford powers pushing them temporarily until my audison voce 5.1k came in and went digital all the way. I could not be happy enough and im very picky.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 AM

I just finished my install last week. Used the Audio Control LCQ-1 instead of the JL Clean sweep. It has a built in EQ which helps out quite a lot since you have no real control with the factory head unit. I would avoid coaxial speakers in the rear. I can barely hear them. They are so covered up by the sides of the rear seats that you don't really hear them. Having tweeters in the rear doors is really a must to get proper sound in the rear. I went with the JL stealthbox for my sub and was very impressed. It had a lot more umph than I anticipated. I wanted to give a 5ch amp a try so I went with the Alpine PDX-V9 and love it so far. Plenty of power and it's pretty small.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2cuz View Post
Ok heres my two cents. I would go with the audison bit ten d or one (depending on your needs. I started off with an lcq-1 and could never get the hiss to go away. When going to the bit ten d the hiss is gone and i thought going active wasnt gonna improve sq dramatically but wow what a difference. The way you can tune the bit ten is amazing, especially if your like me and use an rta to tune Ive never heard focals but my milles are awesome. I had rockford powers pushing them temporarily until my audison voce 5.1k came in and went digital all the way. I could not be happy enough and im very picky.
I had the LC6i at first and the hiss was very bad. I sent it back and got the LCQ-1 and have much better results. There's very little hiss now that I made the swap. Hiss will certainly ruin a system. I'd like to be able to run straight off the preamp signal and just disconnect the factory amp totally if I could. You're always going to sacrifice something converting a speaker level signal to line level IMO.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

So if we (im the friend) put a good set of focal 3-way comps up front in the doors
Screw the coaxials in the back for reasons you said but went with say a set of 2-way components: 6.5" + a tweeter, would that be a good idea?

That 5 channel Alpine is sweet, but we could only run one sub off it so I think we would use a 4 channel for the speakers and get a seperate 2 channel for two subs.

Im not sure what this audison unit is/does? Is it an amp, or an equalizer or....?

Thanks!

Edit: Maybe a mid + tweeter in back would be better as there would be sub(s) in back anyways?

Last edited by Clayton1985; 09-15-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:44 AM

I think you'd be ok with a mid + tweeter in the back.You're not going to get a lot from them in that location anyways and if you have subs in the rear I think you'll be fine. Most of your rear sound is going to come from the tweeters. I can't speak of the audison, I've never used one.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah stock location in rear isnt the most ideal.

So im thinking the alpine pdx 4.1500 for the front and rear speakers, however the rms are 80 and max is 160... 150 seems a bit high, think a 100/120watt per channel would be more suitable?
You got you RMS (say 80watts) and Max (say 160watts), whats the ideal plan generally speaking for powering? Do you want to meet half way and go around 120watts or...?

Thanks for your help so far!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I normally try to match my amp with my speakers at around 150% of their rated rms, this gives me enough headroom to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.