2012 adding NAV Factory or Aftermarket? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up 2012 adding NAV Factory or Aftermarket?

Good morning all,

I am Active duty Air Force and deployed right now (Cannot say where) But right before I left I bought a new 2012 F250 Powerstroke XLT. It currently has SYNC and the plain CD player. I want to add a Navigation system and a backup camera. I am not sure what route is best, but I do know that I want a factory appearance outside the truck. The backup camera in the handle. So Anyone know where to get this cheap? I am looking at the Kenwood 990HD or something like that, but it requires the Idatalink Majesto system to interact with the SYNC system. Either system is about $2500. How is I found a camera in the handle for about $350, but its daytime only, no night time..Does the factory camera have night vision or low light use? Suggestions on which route to go appreciated. Thanks and yes I am a new guy to the Forum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2011CC SRW XLT. I don't have sync. I replaced the stock unit with a Kenwood DDX 419, JVC backup camera, and Sirius. Didn't go for nav - I have a Garmin that I use for nav when I need it. I mounted the camera right over the license plate. It is about the size of a 1" cube. Dropped my head liner and ran the sat antena out the third brake light and mounted the mic for bluetooth in the headliner over the driver. Love it. Camera out back makes world of difference parking. Really love the Sirius! Paid $680 for the gear from Crutchfield. Did the install in a day. My Kenwood will work with my iphone for nav - but, you need to pay $50 (i think) for the Garmin app. Before I bought, Crutchfield did warn me that it would not work with sync. Was not a problem for me - as I didn't have it. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM

Caveat: I'm not sure if the following info is current or not.

In 2009 when I bought an F-150 off the lot w/o the nav package... I was told the OEM nav could NOT be added on any type of cost efficient basis. It's not simply a "plug & play, change the dash face" operation. It seems just about all of the wire harnesses are different, so they would have to be changed as well... which gets you into some big bucks for parts & labor.

Now.. that said... trust me, just go get a good aftermarket audio/nav kit. Ok, so you might not be able to use SYNC with it, but big whoop. SYNC's an ok toy, but it's not that great to begin with. That's why Ford's already ditched it in their cars, and is ditching it in the 2013 models, replacing it with the new MyFordTouch system.

A good aftermarket audio/nav system will sound better, give you a better interface with your toys (cell phone, iPods, etc), and will be easier to update (maps, software flashes, etc).

Stay safe and watch your six over there...
Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Caveat: I'm not sure if the following info is current or not.

In 2009 when I bought an F-150 off the lot w/o the nav package... I was told the OEM nav could NOT be added on any type of cost efficient basis. It's not simply a "plug & play, change the dash face" operation. It seems just about all of the wire harnesses are different, so they would have to be changed as well... which gets you into some big bucks for parts & labor.
Actually it is possible to add OEM Nav into your Super Duty. The cost is probably higher than buying a Nice Kenwood or Pioneer unit, but the factory look is cleaner in most cases. But OP's Maestro setup looks pretty awesome too, especially getting to keep Sync.

A Public "Thank You"

Quote:
Now.. that said... trust me, just go get a good aftermarket audio/nav kit. Ok, so you might not be able to use SYNC with it, but big whoop. SYNC's an ok toy, but it's not that great to begin with. That's why Ford's already ditched it in their cars, and is ditching it in the 2013 models, replacing it with the new MyFordTouch system.

A good aftermarket audio/nav system will sound better, give you a better interface with your toys (cell phone, iPods, etc), and will be easier to update (maps, software flashes, etc).

Stay safe and watch your six over there...
Personally I prefer Sync (right now) over MFT. MFT still relies heavily on Sync. Ford has been having so many issues with MFT that even the software updates are not helpingp. Consumer Reports, Inside Line, other long term auto testers are all complaining about issues with MFT.

One reason I bought a 2012 over ordering a 2013 is that MFT is standard in the 2013 Lariat.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can't find the post right now but member sredman I believe can help you out with the pen look and equipment for less than ford.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
Old 09-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry it's sredmyer.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
Old 09-07-2012, 07:29 PM

Sync

Thanks for supporting your Troops.

Actually I really like the SYNC service. I have had kenwood nav/dvd in my old truck and I really like the traffic updates, etc, and I really like Garmin maps. They seem to be easy to update. Does anyone know if the Ford factory nav unit's mapping system is any good? I really am after the nice clean look, but am weary of the Idatalink majesto since it is so new. I also went to their website and they do not show the interface working with sync for my truck. By the time I buy the Kenwood unit, Majesto unit, backup camera, Satellite adaptor and Install fees. The total is like $2800.00 Now the website thats selling a brand new ford nav unit with 250gb hard drive for $1900.00 and the backup camera for $249.00. I do not have a price on the Satellite antenna yet... I am also thinking the factory Nav will help with resale in the future over theftermarket. Here is there website. I cannot decide...Frustrating... I can install this myself but since I am gone want it done when I get back from the Sandbox.

Ford Navigation System, Ford Factory Navi,
Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just put a pioneer unit in my old dodge. I had it for about 2 months before I traded on a new ford with nav. the oem unit in the ford is way better than the aftermarket one i had
Old 09-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A factory nav head unit will never produce the sound/power an aftermarket unit will. I had alpine DVD/cd/nav unit in my tundra that I was very happy with.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:11 AM

We'll I was going to go aftermarket to kenwood, but the dealer I was emailing decided not to email me back. I guess I was not worth their time, Since I am deployed. I even told them my wife was going to bring the truck in. I guess they just dont care about earning money....

By the way anyone looking for Kenwood. Look at salectronics.com - Consumer electronics, car stereo, home stereo, surround sound, car audio, car navigation at wholesale prices!

They sell refurbished Nav units for about 40% less than new...$1299.00 vs $799.99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.