Sound quality of nav system vs premium sound - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sound quality of nav system vs premium sound

My buddy has the factory nav system as I had in my f-150 and when you cranked it up, it would pull back power as if to keep the speakers from blowing. I now have a premium sound 2011 f-250 (no nav) with the factory sub and it goes way louder without hesitation. I also test drove a 2012 with no nav and it sounded awesome too. Kinda sux. My buddy with the factory nav ended up doing a full custom speaker system which rocks but cost him 4k. I think the highs and mids on the premium sound are good enough just to add a sub. Anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 06:48 PM

I've never had a factory nav myself, but I have seen a big difference in the sound quality from truck to truck. My '08 had the premium sound and to me it sounded as good as most aftermarket systems. Especially the sub..hit pretty hard!! My '11 sounds pretty good, but nowhere as good as the '08. I looked at some '12s last time I was at the dealer...some were great while some were just ok. All had no nav.

Not sure why such a difference. Is the sub/amp adjustable?

Mark
Old 08-21-2012, 06:14 AM

Do the trucks with nav not have premium sound? I'm pretty ure my 12 has a sub behind he rear seat. I would check, I have a baby seat base with a seat cover in the way and don't want to unhook everything to check.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos View Post
Do the trucks with nav not have premium sound? I'm pretty ure my 12 has a sub behind he rear seat. I would check, I have a baby seat base with a seat cover in the way and don't want to unhook everything to check.
My 12 has the nav & premium audio, with the sub behind the passenger-side rear seat.

That said... if it wasn't for the fact that the nav was/is bundled with the Ultimate Lariat Package, I wouldn't have gotten it.

You have a limited amount of adjustment for the sound... but I've heard better.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got the premium sound single disk with full intentions of ripping it out and installing aftermarket but I think adding a better subwoofer will do the job.

My buddies with Nav sounds horrible
Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you have a Lariat with no nav, the headunit has an amp built in and you have a Sub.

If you have Nav, then it has a separate amp.

Interestingly enough, Ford has gone back for 2013 and is now "Branding" the Premium and Nav as Sony Units.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

And it will probably be a good as the "Rancho" shocks.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:53 AM

Sound quality

I just bought a 2012' f250 w nav and was hugely disappointed in the sound quality of the speakers/sub. Just replaced door speakers w Jl audio Zr 5x7 and a Jl 13.5 sub and amp.......unbelievable difference. The factory sub enclosure is pitiful at best and with a sticker price of 62k you would think the sound would be a little better. This is where GM had an advantage teaming up with Bose.
SNOW- I agree completely with your statement and that is why I replaced the ranchos with bilsteins after 350 miles and yes, noticeable difference.
The discount on the 12' that I received went right back into this truck to make it perfect now.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchain View Post
If you have a Lariat with no nav, the headunit has an amp built in and you have a Sub.

If you have Nav, then it has a separate amp.

Interestingly enough, Ford has gone back for 2013 and is now "Branding" the Premium and Nav as Sony Units.

I know that I have a subwoofer, but the ones from the factory are pretty weak in power and quality. There are tremendous gains to be had from the addition of an aftermarket woofer.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
And it will probably be a good as the "Rancho" shocks.
Indeed.

Quote:
This is where GM had an advantage teaming up with Bose.
Same thing as Ford teaming up with Rancho and Sony.

My company truck is a Sierra with the Bose and I promise, the Ford Super Duty premium stereo sounds 100X better than the garbage inside the Sierra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.