backup camera in 2011 F250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
backup camera in 2011 F250

I'm a new Ford owner. 2011 Crew cab w/short bed. Factory radio/ CD no sync or Nav. Considering my options to add Sirius and a backup camera. I'm not familiar with the rear camera factory setup. Where is the camera mounted? Are the wires in the harness to add the camera (in dash and at tailgate?)

Any advice? Thanks.

(my last truck was an 02 1/2 ton Avalanche. What a difference with the Ford. WOW. Should have gotten the Ford sooner. Glad I did it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So you don't have a factory camera? if you don't you would have to buy the rear view mirror which has the screen and the camera. I am pretty sure all trucks are prewired for it. I bet the cheapest way would be to get a aftermarket nav with sirius and add a camera to that.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am thinking about adding a Kenwood rcvr that does sat. and video. What I don't know is if I can simply plug in the stock rear camera (is there a connector and is it pre wired into the harness) on a truck that doesn't have a camera. If so, where do you pick up the camera feed in the cab? In dash (for stock Nav unit) or headliner (for mirror display) In an ideal world...I would simply add the factory camera to the tailgate and wire it up to the new head unit using the stock wire harness.

Any thoughts? Anyone tried this?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:48 AM

I don't know of an adaptor. I think if you want it to be "like" factory, you will have to play mad scientist and pin it out. If you have none of the above, just buy you a license plate camera and a double din screen.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My wiring was not there for 2011 f250 xlt. You will need to get the head liner wire that comes from the mirror to the passenger side, this will be plug and play. Then if you dont have the wire that comes from the rear of the truck, then youll need to run the video +/- and shield from the camera (I made my own aluminum tape, stripped wire and 2-18 guage wires for the +/-). Plugged my power to the camera at the reverse wire and grounded it on my trailer ground wire. I bought my OEM mirror and camera from NAILSandsales on ebay for 300$ . I used a 2011 f150 mirror and the camera mount, worked perfect.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
The camera is located on the tailgate handle. The harness runs through the tailgate and up to the cab. You'll most likely have to purchase or fabricate a harness as its doubtful your truck is prewired. While you can certainly add a rear view mirror that is compatible, you'd like the camera much better if it came up on a nav unit or larger display like that. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice. I probably won't tackle the stereo/camera project until summer. New project jumped to top of list. Bought a used Leer cap on Craigslist for $350. Matches good. Paint is spot on match. Got a few scratches that need to be compounded out. There is one issue. Rear window doesn't close completely because of newer style tailgate. I have to either replace or modify the window. Still - at $350 for the cap it's a great bargain.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 AM

No kidding, I'm right there with you on the cap. Torn between Leer and ARE. Sadly, I can't get what i want with ARE so I'm having to go Leer and my local Leer dealer sux.
Either way, $2000+. You got a heck of a deal for $350. Congrats.

Last edited by TrickTruck; 04-14-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the feedback. Good luck on finding a cap. Oh, my Leer dealer has yet to quote my replacement window. Dunno if Leer or the dealer is the problem. Still waiting....
Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OEM mirror/monitor

I have a 2012 F-250 Lariat Powerstroke and finally dumped my 04 6.0L HD F-250. So far I'm pleased but now want to add a few bells and whistles that didn't come with my truck. I want to hook up a back up camera and mirror/monitor. It now has a back up alarm and a auto tint rearview mirror with a 16 point plug/harness. I have access to a factory OEM rearview mirror/monitor and want to know if this will work with my existing harness and how would the camera hook up to it? I called my local dealer/parts guy and he said not much info in the books with wiring diagrams but for my model a camera harness is available for $30. Books doesn't say if you can add this system. Oem mirror/ moniter is around $1,200! For that kind of money I'll just keep walking back to see how close the trailer hitch is.
Since I have a 16 point plug now and it matches the new OEM mirror/monitor should'nt this all be a plug and play system?
Any help or advise on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.