whats involved in upgrading to factory 11-12 nav? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
whats involved in upgrading to factory 11-12 nav?

Like title says what all is involved. The trucks a 12 with premium sound n steering controls just no nav. Looking at a nav out of an 11....thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 AM

By the time you get done doing a factory nav system you could have done aftermarket and had a much better unit for less $$.

I have the factory nav and it's OK, but the aftermarket units I've seen are a whole lot better.

Also, the factory nav maps are woefully inaccurate. I've only had my truck a little over a month and 3000 miles and I've found at least a dozen places were the map is just plain wrong. And I've seen several threads on various forums where people are griping about Ford not updating the maps/software on these units.

If it were me in your shoes, I wouldn't even be considering a factory nav unit.

Last edited by TrickTruck; 04-14-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM

If you can hold off a couple more months, Kenwood will have the iDatalink Maestro module available for their Nav units. This will allow their Nav units to utilize all of the factory steering wheel controls and fully support the existing Sync system. The module was developed by ADS and integrated by Kenwood for their nav product line.

I've got a DNX6190HD lined up for install just as soon as the iDataLink module is released, possibly shortly before release, for evaluation purposes. I'll do a full write up with pics just as soon as it's completed. Kenwood has put a lot of effort into this integration.

Kenwood
Kenwood - DNX6190HD
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

I just bought a kenwood DNX9990HD head unit and it retains all the sync functions ,just had to buy the steering wheel pac unit.to retain the steering button functions. they just came out this month. I bought it from crutchfield. FWIW
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I LOVE your house

Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
I just bought a kenwood DNX9990HD head unit and it retains all the sync functions ,just had to buy the steering wheel pac unit.to retain the steering button functions. they just came out this month. I bought it from crutchfield. FWIW
One of my good friends is a rep for Kenwood. If he let someone else get this before me, I'm removing myself from his wedding party dammit!

Are you sure you got the iDataLink Maestro? I don't see it listed on Crutchfield. Heard it wasn't due out until June? For some reason, I though you didn't need the steering wheel control interface with the Maestro.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
I LOVE your house

Looks like Ford promotional material doesn't it? Awesome truck sitting in front of a cool house in the middle of nowhere. Put some tire shine on that beast and submit it to Ford's marketing dept!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Ford Factory Radio Interface Add an aftermarket stereo to select 2008-up Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles while retaining use of SYNCŪ system at Crutchfield.com

So what's the difference between the maestro and that? I'm about to pull the trigger on this Alpine INA-W910 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com but if i can run that kenwood can retain all sync functions without a separate display I'll hold off and wait. Especially since its a couple hundred cheaper. I'm assuming that kenwood will utilize the factory siriusxm tuner so I don't have to buy a separate one.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Ford Factory Radio Interface Add an aftermarket stereo to select 2008-up Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles while retaining use of SYNCŪ system at Crutchfield.com

So what's the difference between the maestro and that? I'm about to pull the trigger on this Alpine INA-W910 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com but if i can run that kenwood can retain all sync functions without a separate display I'll hold off and wait. Especially since its a couple hundred cheaper. I'm assuming that kenwood will utilize the factory siriusxm tuner so I don't have to buy a separate one.
From what I know, all factory audio and control features are retained without an external display. I'm gonna try to get my friend in here to comment further since I do not have any specifications or access to more direct product info. I do not want to misinform here.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 PM

That'd be great. Hopefully it comes out soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.