Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

whats involved in upgrading to factory 11-12 nav?

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  TheBoss 
#1 ·
Like title says what all is involved. The trucks a 12 with premium sound n steering controls just no nav. Looking at a nav out of an 11....thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
By the time you get done doing a factory nav system you could have done aftermarket and had a much better unit for less $$.

I have the factory nav and it's OK, but the aftermarket units I've seen are a whole lot better.

Also, the factory nav maps are woefully inaccurate. I've only had my truck a little over a month and 3000 miles and I've found at least a dozen places were the map is just plain wrong. And I've seen several threads on various forums where people are griping about Ford not updating the maps/software on these units.

If it were me in your shoes, I wouldn't even be considering a factory nav unit.

#3 ·
If you can hold off a couple more months, Kenwood will have the iDatalink Maestro module available for their Nav units. This will allow their Nav units to utilize all of the factory steering wheel controls and fully support the existing Sync system. The module was developed by ADS and integrated by Kenwood for their nav product line.

I've got a DNX6190HD lined up for install just as soon as the iDataLink module is released, possibly shortly before release, for evaluation purposes. I'll do a full write up with pics just as soon as it's completed. Kenwood has put a lot of effort into this integration.

Kenwood
Kenwood - DNX6190HD

#4 ·
I just bought a kenwood DNX9990HD head unit and it retains all the sync functions ,just had to buy the steering wheel pac unit.to retain the steering button functions. they just came out this month. I bought it from crutchfield. FWIW

#6 ·
One of my good friends is a rep for Kenwood. If he let someone else get this before me, I'm removing myself from his wedding party dammit!:D

Are you sure you got the iDataLink Maestro? I don't see it listed on Crutchfield. Heard it wasn't due out until June? For some reason, I though you didn't need the steering wheel control interface with the Maestro.

#8 ·
Ford Factory Radio Interface Add an aftermarket stereo to select 2008-up Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles while retaining use of SYNC® system at Crutchfield.com

So what's the difference between the maestro and that? I'm about to pull the trigger on this Alpine INA-W910 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com but if i can run that kenwood can retain all sync functions without a separate display I'll hold off and wait. Especially since its a couple hundred cheaper. I'm assuming that kenwood will utilize the factory siriusxm tuner so I don't have to buy a separate one.

#9 ·
From what I know, all factory audio and control features are retained without an external display. I'm gonna try to get my friend in here to comment further since I do not have any specifications or access to more direct product info. I do not want to misinform here.

#11 ·
I agree and disagree with some of the above statements. These trucks are so nice and new that in my opinion an aftermarket looking unit just ruins the dash. A factory nav looks, well factory, clean and sharp. buttons light up the same color and everything. I think they're great units.

As far as installing one into a truck that didn't have nav, you'll need the right side steering wheel controls, amplifier (factory or aftermarket) and do a little rewiring to the microphone inside the rear view mirror.

#12 ·
Would you rather have a unit that relies on Ford for updates, or would you rather have an aftermarket unit that uses Garmin and is frequently updated?

From what I understand, the cost of retrofitting factory nav is also very high. Aftermarket just seems like a win-win if you're ok with putting function before form.

#15 ·
what did that end up costing?

#17 ·
what do the head units cost from Ford and what are you seeing them go for used? Is there any kind of security or can you just rip it out and put them in another vehicle?

#19 ·
I'm not wild about the factory nav, I'm thinking of going aftermarket. Wondering what it's worth and if there's a market. Sounds like about a grand and yes.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.