Fog Light Mod - Separate on/off via upfitter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fog Light Mod - Separate on/off via upfitter

In an effort to have more light output when driving on rural roads, I made it possible to have my FOG lights on, even when my high beams are on.

For some reason, most manufactures make it so that when you turn your high beams on, your fog lights go off. This reduces the amount of light closer to the vehicle and sides of the road.

I connected the output wire from UpFitter #1 to one of the passthru wires. I then ran a wire from the passthru wire down to my fog light harness under the truck. I soldered in two diodes. One diode keeps the power from the upfitter going back to the BCM and thereby possibly confusing it. The second diode, keeps power from the BCM going back to the upfitter. I dont believe this one was needed, but since I had a pack of 25 diodes, I put it in.

The end result is beautiful.
1) I can have my fog lights on with no parking lights
2) I can have my fog lights on with my high beams
3) I can still leave it all auto and have my fog lights come on/off as it was from the factory.

Here are some pictures of the wiring. You will splice your power feed into the brown/yellow stripped wire after the harness.

Peel back the tape and loom to expose the two wires. Black is ground. You want the striped wire.

Cut the wire and cut about a 1/2 piece out to make room for the diode and solder it in. Be sure to orient it the correct direction.

Next tape over the end closest to the connector, so that when you solder the feed diode in, you dont cause the annode sides to touch and bypass the purpose of the diodes.

Then solder in your feed wire with its own diode on it.

All done. Tape it up, put the loom back and cable tie all wires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here are some sample photos. Unfortunately, the iphone camera doesnt really show the difference as much as the human eye can tell.

First photo is high beams only.

This photo is highs, with the fogs on.

Can definitely see more light down load on the gravel, as well as on the sides, the bushes by the fuel tank, and the lower part of the bush to the left.

It was late, so I didn't take it for a drive in the dark to test it.

Total cost of the mod:

Time: 60 minutes
Diodes: $3
Split Loon: $2
Wire: (already had)
Old 10-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

that's a cool idea. my innate fear of screwing something up that can't easily be fixed usually kicks in when I read stuff like this but, with your write-up and photos, I might just have to try it. good post.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM

could you give a part number on the diodes you used. I got some from radio shack and they suck! LOL.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM

very intuitive. i must say .this will be something i will look into shortly . very nice detailed writeup. and good clean install. kudo's.
on my last two harley trucks i had extra 6" lights : behind the grill in my 06 an on my bull bar on my 08 but never liked the look of them this is great
Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

This is a great idea!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 AM

Great idea. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
...For some reason, most manufactures make it so that when you turn your high beams on, your fog lights go off...
"For some reason" = because it's illegal.

DOT regs state that a vehicle may only have 4 forward-projecting lights operating at a time (it's worded differently in legalese... but you get the idea).

2 Low beam + 2 high beam = 4

This is why most aftermarket PIAA or KC auxiliary lighting is labeled 'for off-road use only'.

Now, that said... I highly doubt any officer is going to pull anybody over for doing this. Simply having the fog lights on is not annoying or distracting to other drivers... such as having bright, highly-aimed, off-road lights on in addition to regular headlights.

A few years ago, it used to be much simpler to have your fog lights remain operating with the high beams on Ford trucks. You simply removed the fog light relay from the box under the hood... broke off the blade that connected the relay to the high-beam trigger... and reinstalled the relay back into the box. It took all of 15 seconds to do, and you didn't need to cut any wires, or solder in diodes.

I haven't researched if you can still do it with these newer trucks... but I don't see why not.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:16 AM

Somebody try this ^^ and report back to us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.