NAV Sound Quality - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 04:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post NAV Sound Quality

I am ordering a 350 today w/ the NAV system. I am replacing an 08 model with the audiophile system. It has been discussed how the sound quality is way down compared to the 08 audiophile and I would like this thread to be about fixing this... I am tempted to order an aftermarket Kenwood NAV unit w/ the Garmin interface, but I really like the Ford Sync and don't want to lose it.

I assume the factory NAV has a dedicated amp for the four speakers and for the sub. Has anyone tried just replacing the door speakers and the sub, but retain the factory amp?

If new speakers won't fix it (by itself), whats next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 AM

On my pending order (on hold 5 weeks due to no transfer cases or 20" wheels), I ran the question you have all the way up to Ford in Dearborn MI.

As of now, they can not tell me what the RMS wattage is on the Premium (not Audiophile) Nav System. They say they are still researching it.

My own research has determined:

- The unit is apparently made by Clarion/Xnavi
- The unit lacks the clarity, definition, presence and dynamic range of the 2008 Audiophile unit
- The issue appears to be with the Head/Unit amplifier and not the speakers

My request is the F150 Audiophile Sony 700watt system be made available to the Superduties.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It would be nice if that would happen; and current owners could take them in for the upgrade. Can you request that for us?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I ordered my truck today and opted for the "base" non-NAV radio in the Lariat. It includes SYNC, but it is not as advanced as the NAV version. I may repalce it with an aftermarket head unit later. Just could not justify $1556 invoice price for the NAV when it sounds like crap... The dealer also told me it costs about $300 to update the maps.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 AM

Exclamation

I took delivery yesterday of a new 2011 F350 that replaced my 2008 F250.

My 2008 F250 had the Navigation with Audiophile sound. You got both when you purchased the $1800 navigation option on the 2008.

The 2011 F350 has Navigation with 'Premium' Sound System...$1800 option.

I am extremely disappointed with the quality of the sound:

1) No presence, definition, clarity and timbre to the sound. Sounds mushy and muddled like a $150 vehicle audio system.

2) Sirius Satellte Radio Sound: Extremely Poor. No highs whatsoever. did not have this issue on the 2008.

3) Auxiliary input source from Ipod or other device. Poor. Lacks volume of old system. Lack of definition and quality to sound.

Overall I'd rate the 2011 system as a 2 on a 1-10 scale with 10 being best. On the other hand, the 2008 system was a solid 10.

Unfortunately, this falls on deaf ears at Ford and the only way to get it resolved is to shell out money to add on an aftermarket signal processor, amplifier and replace speakers.

Other than that, great truck. But Ford missed the boat with the Sound System.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I did not own an 08-10 model, but have read the sterro on those were great, not so much on my 11 with Nav. I traded in a 4dr Jeep Rubicon that had an Infinity from the factory that was great for a factory unit, and my other DD is a Range Rover Sport with a Harmon/Kardon that sounds amazing for a factory system.
I have not gotten to the point yet, only had the truck for 2 weeks, but I can see an upgrade sometime soon, but not real sure how to go about it yet.
I do really like the NAV headunit and the Sync features it offers tho.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 AM

I am researching if there is a workable option to purchase the 300 watt 2008 Audiophile add on amplifier and replace the 35 watt 2011 Amplifier Amp. That could be an option instead of shelling out another $2000 to a local audio shop. It shouldn't cost that much for quality sound.

It gripes me paying $1550+ for Navigation Sound that sounds like a $150 box audio system, whereas with the 2008, it got you the high quality audiophile system.

The sync and fancy front end is total overkill for the $150 sounding audio system underneath it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.