Trailer Wiring Accessory Plug?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion 6.7 Electronics Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trailer Wiring Accessory Plug??

I want to preface this question by saying THANK YOU to all on this forum for your in-depth posting on the new 6.7's! I have been a die-hard GM person all my life, but finally made the best decision of my life by getting an '11 F250 SuperDuty!

So, on to my question.......

I recently purchased a under-the-tailgate light strip and want to wire it up without splicing into the very neatly bundled and taped wire loom running to the trailer connectors.

During my investigation under the rear of the pickup, I see a connector that is on the drivers side rear frame near where all the wires for the trailer harness are. My question is: what is this connector, what are the wires running to it, and is there a pigtail-type end I can purchase anywhere to plug into this if it is indeed extra trailer wires? It is a square-type connector mounted directly on the frame rail with a blank cap on it with a bunch of blue rubber stoppers in the cap to plug the holes. The wires I need to hook to are: ground, right turn/stop, left turn/stop, and reverse.

There is no wiring diagram for this connector that I can find, and my dealership looks at me like I am from another planet when I asked this question. Any information anyone might have regarding this would be extremely helpful! Would love to find a resource showing a wiring diagram of the complete pickup since I am always adding electronics.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is the blank cap orange?
Do you have a tailgate camera?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Duane,

The blank cap is gray actually. It has 6 little blue rubber plugs pushed up in the cap, and it appears there are 5 wires running to the top side of the connector. Yes, I do have the tailgate camera.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The orange cap is for when you pull the tailgate off (with a camera).

Sorry, can't help.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just tap into the wiring going into the 7-pin harness under the bumper. I did so for the 3-light clearance bar like the duallies and I plan to as well for my extra reverse lights.

A quick google search shows the standard wiring for a 7-pin harness and you can see which color wire goes where on the back side. The front cover for it also shows what pin does what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
connector, diagram, plug, trailer, wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.