Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Best Alarm

23K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  ARS1 
#1 ·
So after this weekend I am in the market for an ACTIVE alarm system instead of the crappy passive POS that comes on the truck from the factory. I had both my trucks broken into while on vacation in NC. I know they punched the key holes on both trucks, because the key won't work in the riverside key hole, however my F350 was still locked when I got to the truck. So I'm baffled by that. Out of my show truck, they stole my Snap-on 1/2" Impact (B-day present), and out of my F350 they passed up my H&S MM, Valentine 1, Samsung S7 and dash cam in my unlocked center console, and managed to find my lockbox :mad::banghead:hidden under my seat, buried under a bunch of trash. Had my Walther P22 with full mag in that box, god forbid it gets used on somebody.
Plans to remove the door lock completely, and want a top of the line alarm with 2-way LCD remote, or whatever is used today.

#2 ·
Install some Jimmi-jammers in the door. They prevent the thieves from prying open the handle to manipulate the lock rods or punching in the key hole. I need to install mine.

Viper makes a good product, I've also heard mixed things about Clifford alarms. I'd go viper, they seem to have the market.

I want to get the smart start feature, that way I can start/lock/unlock my truck with my iPhone and it'll send me a push notificatuon to my phone if the truck's alarm were to ever be set off.

#4 ·
Well FU to you. I've never had an issue before, and never expected it. I should be allowed to leave what I want in my truck, and not have to worry about some POS trying to break in. My only wish is that I saw it happen, because I would've gotten at least one of them.

#5 ·
Ok then... I should be allowed to walk down the street without worrying about drawing a weapon, but this ain't Mayberry.

My "direct connect" has a notification system that will send me a text when it goes off... but alarms wont stop people from taking valuables you leave behind.

#8 ·
I know, an alarm and jimmy jammers just keep honest people honest, as the saying goes. I know if was stupid of me to keep my tools in plain view, instead of locked up in the bed. And even more stupid to leave a gun, even though locked up, but still fairly easily stolen in my vehicle.

These things are more for piece of mind.

Reactions: Heavy_GD
#6 ·
Ford has an alarm that is called Perimeter Plus Alarm.

The one that comes from the factory is not an anti-theft alarm as one might think. The owner's manual also states "ANTI-THEFT ALARM (If Equipped)". One should not rely on this alarm to stop an intruder.

The Perimeter Plus Alarm does use the hood switch and door locks to activate the alarm along with a shock sensor. It is an add on and will let you add the remote access module for text notifications in addition to sounding the horn.

Attachments

#7 ·
I feel you're pain, same thing happened too me. But I didn't have anything worth stealing in the truck, since you have a alarm from Ford then you are wasting you're money IMHO, people don't pay attention too a alarm going off, and as someone else mention they are going too take the valuable's inside. Now I have a alarm simply so it can't be stolen, but I'd go with a Viper alarm if you really want a alarm.

#9 ·
Viper Alarms are the best IMO. I had one on my last truck and car. On my '14 I have the alarm that came with the remote start but still havnt got that to work.

I did install something to make the best effort to not let the truck get stolen and that was getting a ravelco installed.

#10 · (Edited)
The best alarm for me is the factory and one of these :grin: But it never stays in my truck! NEVER... Plus I have a Ruger 9mm in the drawer next to my bed.

Reactions: FLOstroked
#12 ·
The Ford Perimeter Plus Alarm is as good as the Viper plus it is plug and play. There are no wires to cut and splice. All is done via factory connectors. The basic unit can have two different remote starts added to it.

Remote Access - The remote access is a subscription service similar to the other alarms such as Viper for $50 a year. With remote access add-on, again plug and play that can be activated by phone to a dealer who does this function, you can get text messages of the alarm going off. You can also start remotely via your smartphone such as Buick shows on their commercial of the vehicle covered in snow and the airline passenger starting it as they land.

Remote Start via fob - Long distance remote start. The distance is up to 1000' and can be started inside a building in many cases. Does not need the $50 a year subscription fee. Option of two different remotes. One is bi-directional so you know if the vehicle started and the other is one way.

The VSS is the Perimeter Plus Alarm. It is plug and play with no splicing. The late model units plug into the OBDII with a Y harness. It leaves the OBDII port available for use with a programmer or a monitor such as the CTS/CTS2. It is operational without either of the above two remote start options. The above two remote starts require the VSS plug into to be operational.

Remote Start & Security | Paul MacHenry & Company

As with any alarm or key, it is only to keep honest people honest. As stated above, one should limit what they keep in their vehicle so the loss is less and not as frustrating.

#13 ·
I beg to differ with the key fob being 1000th effective. Mine has only ever been effective at most 30ft and needs lie of sight. Also half the time I have to hit buttons multiple times to lock/unlock. I do like the txt for alarm sounding though, I'll have ask the dealer

#17 ·
you are probably talking about the standard remote start that is activated by the IKT (your large key with the built in fob).

The long range remote start has an antenna on the windshield behind the mirror. The first two fobs are bi-directional. The third fob is one way.

Attachments

#14 ·
There's a remote start app out there somewhere if I'm not mistaken that allows you to lock/unlock and such. I forget what it's called but it's a Ford thing. I'm sure someone can chime in.

#15 ·
I had the viper on my lightning with the smart start. I could lock it while I was deployed on the other side of the world when I would get wifi. It was great. I'll go with that again on my next vehicle that needs an alarm. When it goes off the app lets you know. you get an email, as well as a text message.

#16 ·
#18 ·
The Ford standard remote start and remote entry system, uses the IKT. It does have a limited range of like 30ft.

From the 2016 owners manual....

The typical operating range for your
transmitter is approximately 33 feet (10
meters).
Vehicles with the remote start
feature will have a greater range. One of
the following could cause a decrease in
operating range:
• weather conditions
• nearby radio towers
• structures around the vehicle
• other vehicles parked next to your
vehicle

Do not believe them on the longer range if you have remote start.

Attachments

#19 ·
I second Sting on the Viper. I had the stereo shop install mine ( amongst other items) and it integrates with the factory system so you can lock, unlock with either the key fob or the Viper. the viper auto start allows you to start and run your rig with the doors locked or unlocked where-as the factory only allow the remote start feature with the doors locked.. you can go from the most basic (which includes the engine disabler) to one that alerts you via Cell phone and allows all the functions via cell phone.. I also have Lo-Jack because it's the only 50 states system linked directly to the law enforcement agencies.

#21 ·
I have Remote Access, and my dealer installed a shock sensor that was part of a Ford upgrade package for the factory alarm. Shock sensor wouldn't have helped in this situation anyway. A secondary siren on the inside of the truck with a short range motion sensor would be great though. If there were such a thing.

#22 ·
Another vote for the Viper SmartStart. I did mine myself and ordered it and the needed harness from Crutchfield. The reason I chose it over the Ford system is the Viper actually includes GPS location of the truck. Through their app, I can see where the truck is, or 'lock it down' to a location - if it moves I get notified. That came in handy one time with the valets at the airport taking it for a joy ride....Busted!

Reactions: ARS1
#23 ·
How hard was it to install?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.