Okay guys, I'm never one to post up walk-throughs or threads about any of my modifications or projects but I've decided to do one for my HID retrofit. I went the route of LED bars on the front which has been more of a pain than it's worth. So after reading through Marshall's (mts678) guide I decided to take advantage of TRS's black Friday sale and bought the following parts for 25% off:
— Ballasts: Morimoto 5Five (50w) D2S
— Bulbs: Morimoto 5Five 5000K D2S
— Halos: Morimoto XB LED (White)
— Projectors: LHD (3" Lens)
— Shrouds: Apollo
— Wire Harness: Relay: H13
Marshall was able to get ahold of some spare headlight housing for me. I baked them open yesterday. The ideal temperature was about 235 degrees for 18-20 minutes. The tools you'll want are a 5mm socket (to remove the bolt in the corner), box cutter, 2 flat head screwdrivers (width of head doesn't matter too much), a putty knife, and a lot of patience.
I started the process by cutting the glue along the seam at the bottom of the housing, then took the putty knife to the grill side, slicing deep into the perm-seal glue. Don't dig too
deeply into the side because you'll do what I did and slice through the plastic. Once you have this cutting done, you can start to pry the lights open. If the glue is not soft at this point, stick the lights back in the oven. Dig the screwdriver far back into the bottom section of the housing, make sure you have the tip behind the edge of the housing before you start to pry the lens off. Do not worry about bending the black flared piece above the lens, as long as your housing is still warm you won't have to worry about it snapping. Once you have the lens peeled back a bit, stick your second screwdriver next to it and continue the process in the direction of the grill side of the housing. I found this method to be the safest because that side is flat. I worry that if you go down the fender side the shape will become deformed and more difficult to reseal.
Here's a picture of the housing open
I ran into one issue with these particular housings. One of the plastics bolts that holds in the lower reflector, and is used for aiming was snapped:
I did some research and found this product called Q Bond online, it looks amazing and for $12 I think I can take the risk.
I'll try make some more progress tomorrow if I have the time. Half of the reason I made a thread is so that, hopefully, some of you guys give me the push to continue through the project.