Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

iPad indash

44K views 64 replies 35 participants last post by  ImAti0n 
#1 ·
Ipad mini installed!!!

Finally done took 4days and lots or trial and error. But finally happy with the results. More pictures to come.

#3 ·
Looks awesome! Couple questions.
1. How did you connect it to your door speakers.
2. Are you loosing speaker output .

Probably dumb questions, but thanks in advance.

Reactions: tronning
#6 ·
Awesome job. I have seen this done with a nexus 7. I beleive he is using bluetooth to the stock head unit. so his controls on his steering wheel should still be working.

#13 ·
Twas I....

#7 ·
Several of these have already been completed, this has been the first one on a Super Duty. The steering wheels controls work As if the factory system was in use. Has Bluetooth phone capabilities like the factory sync system. The radio app allows control over all the radio sources and volume control. Where this setup shines is with the uses of all the other Apps available for the iPad. Ex. Maps, weather, pandora, and all the many others.

Props to Soundwaves of Tampa, and Twisted Metal Off Road for all your diesel performance and a/v needs!

Building:

Faceplate:

The Brain:

Charge port:

Radio App to control radio!

FM control from IPad.

Navigation:

Internet:

#8 ·
Several of these have already been completed, this has been the first one on a Super Duty. The steering wheels controls work As if the factory system was in use. Has Bluetooth phone capabilities like the factory sync system. The radio app allows control over all the radio sources and volume control. Where this setup shines is with the uses of all the other Apps available for the iPad. Ex. Maps, weather, pandora, and all the many others.
What head unit did you have to begin with? Just wondering why they didn't use the stock head unit? I am guessing the aftermarket head unit is of higher quality...

Thanks for the pictures of the process!

#9 ·
There is no app to control the OE radio.

Forgot the new rear door panels.

#10 ·
There is no app to control the OE radio.

Forgot the new rear door panels.
I see! And you added Component speakers to the rear! Very Nice!

Do you have the model # for the head unit and the name of the apps you are using? I am very very interested.

#14 ·
I am extremely interested in trying to do something like this..... however, I am confused about how it all works. Is that mounted in front of an aftermarket radio that is controlled by the ipad via some type of app?

What about the microphone for hands-free phone calls, does that still work?

Do the controls on the steering wheel still work?

#15 ·
It would be nice to have a write up on the procedures you used to achieve this. Apps, what kind of HU and anything else that would be handy. I would like to do this in my SUPER DUTY ASAP! Do you know if it would fit on 08+?

This is amazing!

#18 ·
It's the new Sony gs600bt, the iPad has an app called "app remote". Which provides control of the radio, and also provides the touch display to control the radio. The lightning cord plugs into the USB on the back of the radio and is molded into the mount.

All the steering wheel controls work the radio, and the hands free calling is now handled by the Sony radio.

Pm for exact part numbers

#19 ·
Head unit: Sony mex-gs600bt
Harness: ford rp4
Dash kit: bkfmk542
Antenna adapter: baa205

And the mount is custom made.

#27 ·
Yes, I did it with a nexus 7 for a fraction of the iPad pricing.

#24 ·
We are charging 1500 todo this iPad setup on 2008-2012 superduty's. prices vary on other makes and models.

#26 ·
Takes a matter for a second or two to get to the Sony radio.

#28 ·
That is so cool. I hate the stock nav system. What a pita.

Certainly interested in hearing more about this, especially if you offer a DIY kit.

I'm also interested in the Android version, just not a big fan of iEverything

#29 ·
Which android device are you wanting to use?

#31 ·
Maybe the galaxy tab 7? If T-mobile comes out with it and they have one of these new 'un' plans for it, I just might jump on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.