Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Installing a 2nd USB Port

12K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  hood72 
#1 ·
I have seen another thread on this subject, but I thought photos of my install could be helpful...BTW, the cable is a real pain to plug into the port.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
EC130H, Sync will see the 2nd USB and it functions same as the one on the dash. I simply routed the cable inside the glove box and plugged in my 120gb Zune. I now have endless hours of music that is controlled by the Voice command. You can order the cable at any ford dealer. Take the part number, my dealer had some problems locating it. I know others have used different cables that had to be modified, but with the Ford cables costing less than $30, it is the easiest way to go.

#10 · (Edited)
I can not find it! Maybe because I am trying to use an Apple USB cable to plug my iPod in? I will get an inspection mirror at work Tuesday and see if I can find it.

Update: I didn't see that it was a mini USB, so I will get the part from my dealer or radio shack, I was thinking dealer because it clips in.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

#18 ·
too bad they don't make a small wireless NAS box that can be powered off the usb port...

How sweet would that be, in-cab network storage and MP3 repository for SYNC.

Sorry I'm kind of a geek, it sure would be handy for transfering music to the device. Setup a scheduled task to copy any new music to the truck when its parked in the driveway... yes.

On edit... not sure if this can offer what im looking for but I may try one if I can get my hands on it...
Newegg.com - Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB Mobile Wireless Storage (Black)

#20 ·
on second thought I would burn through alot of fuel leaving the truck running overnight for the sync to take place. unless I could build something into the process that after the wireless connection becomes connected or "docked" a syncronization would take place immeditately. If this were possible a syncronization could be acomplished by using the remote start and allowing the truck to idle for a few minutes.

#22 ·
What are you synchronizing. You lost me.

on second thought just for the sake of ease I'm going to get one of these:

Newegg.com - Vantec NexStar CX 2.5" SATA to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive/SSD Enclosure (Supports 7mm, 9.5mm, 12.5mm HDD/SSD) - Model NST-200S2-BK

and use a fairly standard USB-A to Mini cable from an old blackberry and pop in my 500gb drive.

Spare Drive formatted FAT32 from a previous laptop upgrade- Free
Spare Cable from an old Blackberry - Free
Case - $10

Install time ~3 minutes well worth it for nearly endless music
I take it the sync system isn't capable of reading NTFS file system? I tried plugging my portable external into my wife's car, but the usb port didn't have enough power to run it properly.

#21 ·
on second thought just for the sake of ease I'm going to get one of these:

Newegg.com - Vantec NexStar CX 2.5" SATA to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive/SSD Enclosure (Supports 7mm, 9.5mm, 12.5mm HDD/SSD) - Model NST-200S2-BK

and use a fairly standard USB-A to Mini cable from an old blackberry and pop in my 500gb drive.

Spare Drive formatted FAT32 from a previous laptop upgrade- Free
Spare Cable from an old Blackberry - Free
Case - $10

Install time ~3 minutes well worth it for nearly endless music

#23 ·
I used the $4.99 cable from Amazon and it works great, Ipod is in the glove box now.

#24 ·
Correct, the truck will not read NTFS. it must be formatted FAT32 there are a few free utilities that will do this.

I was thinking of syncronizing the HDD with a server in the house, but the truck would need to be on and this would not allow for the server side initiation of the sync. Oh well, I guess I'll have to carry the drive in the house.

I've also found that my truck will not power two of my external harddrives, I've ordered a newer enclosure to see if that will help. The drive I used was an old hitachi 60gb 1.1w drive and a newer .550w WD Scorpio black 500gb, neither will power up properly. hoping it was a powerhungry enclousre... should know tonight or tomorrow. if not my next step will be to try a 5400 RPM drive maybe the 7200 drives require more powah!

I guess I could just go with a couple 64gb memory sticks, but I want to be different I guess. besides I found a mini usb male to male cord from an old wireless headset that just makes it too easy if I can get the HDD to power up.

I've read others being able to power drives with no issues so I don't see a reason it won't work... its just not.

#25 ·
So I can take an old laptop drive, a $20 external enclosure and a std mini-usb to usb cable and....

...oh, doing this now.

#26 ·
It may take some tinkering. I've yet to be able to get any of my drives to spin up. my new enclosure will be here this afternoon.

I've read others being able to do this so I don't see it as being a problem. and depending on the enclosure the cable may or may not be "standard"

#27 ·
I've hooked up a drive, seems to work fine.

How do I convert itunes playlists to playlists that Ford will understand?

#28 ·

Cable is a pain to plug in because it's shaped differently. The cable from ford is a replacement for the bottom receptacle. The flat corner is opposite on the top USB2. I filed the corner down and it plugged right in!! Works like a champ. Just FYI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.