Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Installing a 2nd USB Port

12K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  hood72 
#1 ·
I have seen another thread on this subject, but I thought photos of my install could be helpful...BTW, the cable is a real pain to plug into the port.

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
I've ordered the ford cable.

I've used a 200gb drive, formatted fat32 (have to use a downloaded utility, not windows format) and 80+gb of music.

It works, but just barely. No playlists and darned if I can figure out how to get itunes playlists over to it that Sync will read.

Too much music for Sync voice index, and it reminds me of this nearly every time.

AVIs and such will not work.

USB hubs are not supported.

I think the ipod is really the only way to get music and playlists into Sync.

That and Bluetooth w/ pandora or google play. Downside to using the phone is that it takes a lot of babysitting.

Overall, I think the factory radio and sync is pretty limited.

#30 ·
I would like to put my Ipod in the lower locking center console on my 2012 F250, not in the glovebox simply because the glovebox on my truck doesn't have a lock. And I use my glove box for, well, gloves. I don't want to have my usb cable hanging out of the dash while parked in public parking lot. The lower locking console in my truck is quite hidden. So I am going to route a cable from the USB plug behind the dash, under the carpet and into my console.
One question I have is: How long is the factory part numbered - cable you are reffering to in this post?
I have the basic My SYNC system. Which does not have the large touch screen, only the 2 line LED readout on the radio. It plays my Ipod perfectly, responds to commands and such like a dream.
Do you see any problem with my plan?

#32 ·
For you guys who have shoved your Ipod up into the dash, do you just plug it in and leave it on? Does it power down on its own and then starts back up when you start your truck back up?

#35 ·
I had one plugged into my 2005 F150, and if left for 2-3 weeks it would kill the battery flat. Took it out, no trouble after that. Mind you, that was in an aftermarket stereo.

#36 ·
I'm going to get one of these in a 16gb and put all my music on it and leave it plugged into the USB on the dash. That way I have all the song info that you don't have with the Bluetooth connection. It's so small, it will barely be visible.

I don't like to use the USB port to plug in my phone because it doesn't charge the phone very fast and I feel like with the low amperage (or whatever causes it) it will harm my battery.

#37 ·
could you remove the drive from the truck

Could you remove the drive from the truck and then install a larger capacity drive? asI am not even sure what the stock one is, and as far as the software on the drive most electronics stores sell hard drive copy/ cloning devices for about $60 and you could also drag and drop the music in this way. This is what I am considering since i already hay the clone device and hard drives are cheap also that way you could have a "stock" drive if ever needed to put back in .
Does anyone see a problem with this?
and I say use a second cloned drive because who knows what Ford would charge for a $50 drive and some software.

any one know what the size(GB/TB) would be on these trucks?

and it just has to be formatted to FAT32......?
Feel free to comment as I would really like to use a feature that came with my truck (if not make it better also) since the local ford dealer told me the only way to add music is a original cd or possibly a burnt mp3 cd (and not a mp3 DVD asked) he said you would loose the names of artists and such if it was not from a plain store bought cd. Sorry for the rambling but for the cost of the option you should be able to plug something into the usb port and it sucks the music in (or even over bluetooth) .

Lance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.