Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

12' swap OEM NAV for Aftermarket questions

3K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  AMG1978 
#1 ·
I've installed many stereo's, amps, speakers, steering-wheel control adapters, wiring, you know the drill.

I'm unhappy with my 2012 factory Nav + sub. Not so much from the audio perspective (which I know could be better), but more so from the headunit itself. The biggest issue I have is having to switch from LINE-IN to BTST each time I start my truck. I have updated the firmware (I am on the latest) and it doesn't fix the issue.

So I am thinking, I will upgrade it to either a Pioneer or Kenwood top of the line nav unit that supports android auto/carplay. I think fixing the BT issue, adding probably better quality audio, adding a 2nd camera option (I'll put one in the rear of my trailer and fish the wire up), etc. is probably going to be a nice mod. I was wondering though if anyone has done this and installed the Maestro iDataLink RR unit to retain SYNC functionality. How well did it work? I see from the screenshots on their website (Maestro) that they show so many things you can get via Sync. Things that are not visible via the factory headunit. Even simple things like TPMS data. Do you gain any of this with the 2011-2012 that we have? Are there any gotchas? Does the typical Metra wiring harness adapter (using full stock speaker config) retain the factory subwoofer? Steering wheel control, items like Metra ASWC-1 work well (I used it on my Tacoma)? Is it no-splice/no-cut? I'd hope so since the truck is so old now, i'd imagine the harnesses exist?

Any info is appreciated, before I buy and have to find this out the hard way?

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you end up making the swap to an aftermarket NAV system? If so, which one, and how do you like it?

My factory NAV head unit is on the fritz, and I'm looking at my options to replace it.

#4 ·
There was another SYNC Update to the 2012 (perhaps 2011) NAV unit. I applied it and now it seems more unstable. Now maybe 30% of the time, I'll get in, it'll pair, and switch to BTST, but no audio comes out. I have to disconnect/reconnect Bluetooth on my iPhone 7+, and then audio is at like 4x speed until I close the app and re-open it. Weird stuff, but the headunit just doesn't cut it.

I did test a Kenwood Apple CarPlay headunit the other day at Best Buy. Pretty nice features in CarPlay. I've read a ton, but never actually tested it on my own. I still plan to swap this headunit, just money is going elsewhere at the moment.

#3 ·
I didn't yet. I think next year or latest the year after they will have wireless Car Play / Android Auto. 2017 BMW has that as an option...

I think the swap would be easy just haven't done it yet on this truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
That's interesting.

The issues I had also started shortly after an update I installed.

What version did you update to?

#7 ·
Did you update your maps as well?

#9 ·
Correct, map updates must be purchased for the low low cost of $150 :rolleyes:

A few weeks after installing the latest software, map, and gracenote updates is when my issues began. I was having touch screen, and backup camera issues.

I ended up sending my head unit to 4D Tech. Very nice, helpful guys. They bench tested it, and couldn't find a problem. Steve, (tech support) felt bad that he wasn't able to re-create the issues I was describing. He asked if I was willing to let him install my head unit in his personal truck (he also drives a 2011 w/ factory nav) to see if the problems would come to life in his truck rather than on the bench. I said absolutely.

Well, he drove around with the head unit in his truck for 5 days. And he couldn't make the thing screw up. .

They sent the head unit back to me, charging me nothing but return shipping. I re-installed it in my truck. And it's been working flawlessly ever since. . :shrug: I'm still not sure what the problem is/was, if it was related to the updates, or if it was coincidental. But, for now. It's working.

Which Kenwood unit are you looking at?

Also, FYI. If/when you do replace yours. The guys at 4D Tech will buy your factory Nav head unit.

#10 ·
Which Kenwood unit are you looking at?
Also, FYI. If/when you do replace yours. The guys at 4D Tech will buy your factory Nav head unit.
I have owned a few Pioneer's in the last 10 years.
AVIC-Z1
AVIC-Z3
AVIC-Z140BH
AppRadio 3

I haven't done the research yet, but I plan to read on the forums, watch YouTube videos, etc. before I buy. But I want something that is stable, people have positive reviews of. I want CarPlay support and I dont want to break the bank. I want capacitive touch too. My birthdays 3/22 and today my headunit was pissing me off when taking a phone call, so she discussed getting me something. I need to do the research soon; I'll keep you posted. Tomorrow I am off to the track to race my Ducati till Sunday, so more important things to deal with :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.