xl-3 Friction Modifier in Dana 80? Yes or no? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Drivetrain Problems 6.7 Drivetrain Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
xl-3 Friction Modifier in Dana 80? Yes or no?

Ok… Now that I convinced my Dealer that I had the Dana 80 and he confirmed it with Ford… They completed the rest of the service that they should have…

One thing they did was to change the rear differential fluid.

When I got home and looked over the work order and did some googling it looks like my rear (its a limited slip) might have required the XL-3 Friction Modifier added and it is not on the work order.

Before I go ahead and call them back…

They put in the XY75W90QLS Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant which seems to agree with what I'm reading (if I'm reading it all correct) but I do not see the XL-3.

Now one of the notes says its required on vehicles before 10/10/04 and mines a 2012 so I have the feeling its not needed but I want to make sure that I'm reading this right.

Anyone know for sure? No XL-3 Friction Modifier in the Dana 80 rear diff on a 2012 F350?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 02:28 PM
information regurgitator

If you do not feel a chatter (or shimmy) when cornering with the diff warm (which is about an hour drive time or so), don't do a thing.

If you put too much, your LSD won't work at all.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

exactly but usually a dealer will put it in so they don't have a call back the downside is it can make you LS worthless or more worthless if you will

but I am not saying your 2012 D80 would require it just the normal procedure for differentials that can require it like mine

it should be in your manual just like the fact the Dana 80 was the DRW rear axle on a F250-350 Drw

Last edited by ZMANN; 03-19-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:55 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Just curious, on my 14 F350 the duffs are supposed to use the friction modifier; I just had my stock diff cover swapped with my ATS cover and other than the fluid being dark grey and having some bits of metal in it, my mechanic said the local dealer didn't have the friction modifier, but said it was alright to drive without it. I'm wondering is this true or false?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it's fine like mentioned usually you add the modifier to let the clutches slip more and reduce chatter when turning from the clutches not slipping smoothly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.