2012 250 death wobble - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Drivetrain Problems 6.7 Drivetrain Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 250 death wobble

I've spent roughly 4 hours this evening reading forum after forum post and watching multiple youtube videos, trying to find out what could be wrong with one of my company trucks. Employee is telling me that it has graduated to being a full time uncontrollable wobble.

My mechanic has changed out a laundry list of parts, (don't have all that info infront of me right now) but it's been almost everything we could think of. About the only 2 things we HAVE NOT DONE yet is: New trac bar, and have the caster angle looked at.

Can anybody elaborate to me what caster angle is/what this does? And how I ask my tire shop to perform this and what I expect them to do? (I want to sound intelligent when I do this is why I'm asking!)

Lastly, does all of this sound correct? Have there been any new findings in the "death wobble" scenario, or has it been the same verdict for years upon years? This company I'm now managing, my boss traded a 2011 off because he couldn't get rid of the wobble after installing a lift..... just traded a damn truck with less than 20K on it because he was tired of working on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 01:22 PM

With my 2012 F350 I have had the death wobble when i hit a bump every once in a while. Now keep in my mind my truck is on full air ride suspension. I get the death wobble if my shocks are too soft or too stiff (Rancho 9000 adjustables).

Maybe your shocks are worn out?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 2012 DRW developed the wobble around 40k miles. I tow heavy thru the Rockies and it scared the crap out of me when it would happen.

I took it to Ford in Tucson, Az.. the said the front end was fine that it probably was the tires. Tires still had decent tread.

I replaced all 6 and no death wobble for the last 5k miles.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I fix 90% of these by REMOVING one degree of caster with shims. They 60 $ a peice and 2.5hours to replace shims AND align. Caster will be in red on the machine but itll be good. The other 10% are usually a steering damper. Death wobble repair should begin with shims and check tire pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.