Engaging 4 x 4 on the fly and popping sound - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Drivetrain Problems 6.7 Drivetrain Problems

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engaging 4 x 4 on the fly and popping sound

Haven't had much snow here in the Cheeseland this winter, but tonight I had to drive in it, while driving I engaged the 4 x 4 on the fly... I was doing around 35 or so, and I heard a pop or clunk I guess as it engaged, but it seemed like it was only from the driver's side. Got through the rough open field areas, into the city and back into 2WD. On the way home, the same thing. While driving I'm also hearing a droning sound from the front end with the 4WD engaged.

This is my first Superduty and not sure if any of this is normal or not. I checked the locked outs and they both appear to be in the unlocked position. I've had 4 x 4 trucks most of my life and I can't ever recall a snapping or popping noise when the 4x4 engages on any of my other trucks... I've had all of the big 3.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 03:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck is still very new, but I can tell you that my 05 Dmax made some poping almost every time it went into 4wd. My new ford makes "some" noise, but.... Not what you are talking about. I'm sure it's nothing, but If it were to get worse, I'd have the dealer take a look.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. I have a 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer we bought when the kid was young and It never makes any noise going in our out... but it is sort of always in with the Auto 4wd. I have a Company Vehicle that's a 2009 Trailblazer, no noise. My Dodge was a 97 and I can't remember any noise. My Chevy, well was an oldie.. 77 and it didn't make any noise that I could hear over the side pipes and built 350 LOL. I just want to check with the folks in the know, spent too much on my SD and don't want to have issues.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 AM

they all do it. not to worry. its a super duty truck not a little suv. the transfercase is a tad beafier
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 PM

You are very likely going to need hubs. They are a problem with these trucks. Mine is going in for warranty hubs on the 10th with 8000 km. They never clunked in until one day, then every time, then a growl....
I think integrated hub/actuators is going to bite ford in the arse, then us when off warranty.

Last edited by Ken2012f350; 01-02-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I do know that, if your traveling at any speed, and your rear wheels are losing any traction and spinning there will be a pop or slam into 4x4. Think about it, if your rearend is spinning technically doing 40 while your front end is doing 35 then its gonna slam into gear. I usually try to slow down if possible and then engage 4x4. or go to neutral at higher speed
Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki6mx View Post
I do know that, if your traveling at any speed, and your rear wheels are losing any traction and spinning there will be a pop or slam into 4x4. Think about it, if your rearend is spinning technically doing 40 while your front end is doing 35 then its gonna slam into gear. I usually try to slow down if possible and then engage 4x4. or go to neutral at higher speed
Oh no kidding, foot off the gas, coasting prior to engaging is a must.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
I don't own a 6.7L but when I put the 4x4 in my 6.4L it didn't make any noises or strange pops sounds, just a smooth engage
Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruizhernandeztrust View Post
I don't own a 6.7L but when I put the 4x4 in my 6.4L it didn't make any noises or strange pops sounds, just a smooth engage
Mine didn't either when it was new. After driving an hour there, them doing 'warranty diagnostics' for an hour, then driving home again with the same hubs, I am waiting for authorization to waste another 3 hours so they can repeat the process.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 AM

I have the manual locking hubs and have never had this issue, this is my second winter here in ohio using 4x4 and problem free thus far. Hope you get it figured out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.