Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2011 F250 Rubbing, ticking clink Noise Front Wheels

12K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  wfo_180 
#1 ·
I have been hearing a rubbing/clicking noise coming from my front passenger wheel. It gets louder as I go faster and making left turns. I am deleted and only hear it when I am off the throttle. I also hear a noise like a clink backing up or pulling forward in a parking spot. That sound is different from the rubbing ticking sound I hear and I think the two are associated.

All stock suspension other than the new rancho stock replacement shocks I put on a month ago.

I took it to ford today for some warranty work, they couldn't hear it at all. I went to the dealership and took the tech for a ride with the windows down, he couldn't hear it even though I could. We went back and got a younger tech with better hearing. He heard the clink as we were pulling out of the parking lot and heard the rubbing/ticking noise.

We got back and they looked further and did not find anything rubbing, broke nothing. They called me and said that they can not hear the noise any more. I picked it up and pull out of the spot, "Clink" then the rubbing/ticking noise when I was driving.

This is driving me nuts. Could the racho replacements be causing this? I am lost and apparently so is ford.

See less See more
#4 ·
Check your lockable hubs out. They come out with 3 torx screws. May have dried up. That's really the only thing rotating up front aside from the wheel bearing which is also a possibility. I just replaced my hub unit bearing due to a noise similar to yours aside from the clink. Trucks quiet now.

#5 ·
I will have to pull the hub off today and look. Ford claimed they did this and inspected the bearings. They are full of it, as far as I know it is a sealed unit and you can't inspect the bearings. I think it is the bearings, nothing else makes sense. It sounds like nuts and bolts rolling in a can.

How much did you pay for yours? My warranty deductible is $200.

#6 ·
The only bearing you can see inside the unit bearing is the one for the axle shaft to ride in and it is replaceable. The actual hub unit wheel bearings are non serviceable like you said. The locking hub has a needle bearing in it. I paid $499 for two front hub unit bearings from 1aauto. Best price by far and have two year warranty. I only replaced the one but figured I'll keep a spare. My old bearing sounded like the dust shield for the brakes was rubbing the rotor but it was still tight with no slop.

Reactions: Piah167
#8 ·
I had a really weird noise at low speeds as well. Finally had my gf drive the truck slowly while I pinned it down.

Turned out I didn't tighten a lug nut enough and it fell off and was inside my wheel cap clunking around hahaha. Was driving me crazy for like a week, luckily it was just that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.