Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Click/clunk noise

13K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Tobydog007 
#1 ·
Have a click/clunk that happens every time I transition from accelerating to braking and vise versa. Even makes it when I leave a stop sign. As soon as I let off the accelerator I hear it clunk, then when I get back into the accelerator it clunks again. U joints all seem good, but can move the shaft coming out of the transfer around pretty good, and the slack in the T case makes a definite thud. Its very annoying. Any ideas? Here is a crappy cell phone vid

#2 ·
Nobody? Maybe u joints? No play with my hands, maybe a little with the force created by the motor?

#3 ·
I may have narrowed the noise down now that I was able to lay under the truck while he cycled back and forth from drive and reverse. Seems to be coming right from the middle of the driveshaft. There is nothing inside these aluminum drive shafts right?

#7 ·
It is an aluminum 1 piece drive shaft, it is a 2011 only type deal. Even has a factory aluminum rear diff cover. Talked to the stealership today and they said their was a TSB out in 2011 for aluminum driveshafts making noise. He said hes not sure if ford even sells the aluminum replacements, and has been only selling the steel 2 piece units to replace aluminum ones. Not sure though. Not bringing my truck close to that place though.

Buddy with a 13 is going to swap drive shafts on saturday off of his to try on mine and see if thats where the issue lies

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#9 ·
Just talked to one of my service advisers, and he said to pull the driveshaft and clean the splines for the slip yoke and lightly grease it, because sometimes it will stick when you stop, and then make that clunk when you accelerate and it comes loose. Worth a shot.

#10 ·
I have the same thing going on with my 15'. I thought it was my PMF traction bars but those are rock solid and all u joints seem good. I will have to look at the drive shaft. I know mine is a single piece steel unit. Let us know if swapping shafts around stopped your problem and created one for your buddy.

#11 · (Edited)
My 2013 does the same thing and it's normal. If you put it in neutral, you can move my driveshaft about a 1/4". My tech says it's the wind up. Let off the brake, hit the gas and "thump". Drives my wife crazy. So I'm good with it! I wouldn't call it a "noise". It's more of a thump feeling than anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.