Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2012 F250 Autolocking Hub

11K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 F-250 I bought used. The other day I was just out washing the wheels and noticed the previous owner had the hubs locked. So I turned the dial to set to auto and when I got in it to go to my shop I heard a scratching noise coming from the driver's side. Windows down of course and only when letting off the throttle. I was getting a little worried so I slowed down on a neighborhood street and put it into reverse thinking maybe it just wasn't coming unlocked. Noise was still there I put it in 4hi noise gone back to 2hi noise came back. Went to the shop looked at the vacuum line "looked" like it could use replacing went to auto zone bought some vacuum line and some fittings to rig it up until i could buy OE lines for it. Problem was still there. Manually locked my hubs went back home. No noise, pulled the hubs apart at the shop the next day put some grease in them and the noise was faint but still there pulled them apart one more time to see what it could be. Saw a few pieces of metal like they were shavings off gears but what it ended up being was metal pieces that held the gear in place when you lock it in. Pieces of that got broke allowing the gear that was supposed to be "stationary" move back and forth causing my I guess you would call it inner wheel bearing?? (new to these) to rub the gear that's supposed to lock the hub. Ok long story I'm sorry, but now what do I do? I can't find Autolocking hubs anywhere. All i see is people switching to manual, but i want what came on the truck originally any part #'s I can't even find "auto locking hubs" for 2012s just 2005-2010. Any help would be appreciated:grin:

See less See more
#2 ·
the hubs are all the same from 2005 up AFAIK it's a WARN PVH made for ford and if you buy used be careful there is an identical looking manual only version
so check for the word AUTO

the people you read about going with manual are mostly the 04 under the 05 up had no aftermarket hub choices untill just recently when Warn released a 350.00 all manual and stronger unit but thats a lot of coin for loosing the auto function

#5 ·
Thanks guys I believe I have found a set that are specifically for my 2012 F-250 I found a few on eBay but I never buy truck parts from eBay I'm leery about eBay and Amazon truck parts. I found the set at Blue Springs Ford Parts dot com
part #BC3Z3B396A cost $35 more than the ones on eBay but I know I'm getting the right part from a reputable source. Thanks for the responses! Couldn't get Ford Parts to work this morning guess they were having issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.