6.7 Drivetrain Problems (2011-2016) 6.7 Drivetrain Problems

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-23-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Popping during takeoff and bumps

Doesn't look like this is a common problem, so I figured why it post my situation (and future outcome).

2014 f250, 104k on the odometer, rig chaser (I see a lot of lease roads). Crew cab, swb, fx4.

I noticed some popping noises today, started barely noticing a popping noise earlier and it turned into something consistent. My initial guess was sway bar bushing, but they appear intact. Sounds lower, so I'm guessing ball joints or sway bar links.

I'm working 500 miles from home, so I'm probably going to drop it off at a shop tomorrow. I'll update as things progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-23-2017, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
My 15 pops on take off when hill assist releases maybe that's what your hearing ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 F350 KR cclb 155/stock full force powermax / WWII leveled carli 2.5 pintops 08&up full rear spring ouo 3link arms 36 toyo mt 4.30 yukon grizzly rear locker :yike
s:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New ride 2015 tow boss dpf & egr lost !!
post #3 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Loose shock bolt.
I replaced the ranchos with billsteins at about 50k (I won't buy them again, stupid design). Took 50k to shake a bolt loose I guess. I go down oilfield lease roads often, this isn't a big surprise.

150$ for the diagnostic. Worst part was they kept my truck through the weekend. Should have let me pick it up Friday evening when they called. Still happy overall.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Best is have assistant lay on freight blanket parallel to truck and watch but hey, that shop will tell you. Bonus is that you stay warm and knuckles in tact.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland dieselnick View Post
Best is have assistant lay on freight blanket parallel to truck and watch but hey, that shop will tell you. Bonus is that you stay warm and knuckles in tact.

I don't have a clue what you are trying to say here, and/or how it relates to anything in this thread.

SDUTY350 likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropegun2k View Post
I don't have a clue what you are trying to say here, and/or how it relates to anything in this thread.

Locating an abnormal sound upon take off. If assistant is laying on ground, parallel to truck and viewing from side and upward, one can view all components that twist and flex. Assistant can also hear origin of sound and the usually abnormal travel or action for said component.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland dieselnick View Post
Locating an abnormal sound upon take off. If assistant is laying on ground, parallel to truck and viewing from side and upward, one can view all components that twist and flex. Assistant can also hear origin of sound and the usually abnormal travel or action for said component.

I understand. I am not sure how well that would have really worked. It was during hard takeoffs and hard bumps. You would only get a glimpse at best, with a tire in the way.

Speaking only from my imagination, not from experience. So I'll try it next time, thanks for the tip.

post #8 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 10:07 PM

BTW.... most pop at about 5 mph on take of is the slip joint spines in drive shaft in need of PTFP grease.
The grease does not take up dead space between splines some think. What happens is axle twist. This creates a greater distance between trans and diff. The splines in driveshaft slip joint lock hard against each other. As distance in between trans and diff increases due to the diff angle flexing....torque overcomes friction on splines in driveshaft slip joint.. once overcome...POP splines slide free from "locked friction".
post #9 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropegun2k View Post
I understand. I am not sure how well that would have really worked. It was during hard takeoffs and hard bumps. You would only get a glimpse at best, with a tire in the way.

Speaking only from my imagination, not from experience. So I'll try it next time, thanks for the tip.

Appears we posted same time. No problem and understand. I believe you will find out it happens at or about 5mph. so indeed it may be a little difficult to diagnose as described. Somethings become for granted or assumptions made having been there countless times.
With regards to,"hey the shop will tell you", hate seeing boys going in blind to a shop. Envey of those who can is one issue... but if even he can try to diagnose as such, he is better informed and can quickly weed through a service writer's call sayin,"Mr. Harry Homeowner, your differential is bad" or similar.

Last edited by Maryland dieselnick; 02-02-2017 at 10:32 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 11:07 PM

Extremely close second up in the heads up department after isolated to the driveshaft,,, is making it clear to service writer, that you are requesting that the mechanic make indexing marks in thin paint lines from diff connection to drive shaft and across any and all slip and joint flanges to trans or transfer case, obviously depending on your model.
Tech's failure to do so can change a simple, "pop on take off, (not upon putting into gear) ( it's a pop from splines gripping force from rotational torque, pulled away due to distance change from axle twist) abruptly breaking free allowing shaft to lengthen, occurring due to lack of lube allowing splines to hold torque but not freely slide within each other ) simple repair to a vibration chasing issue that will make some file a motor torte case.
Sway bar issues can be part and parcel but manifest at all most 0 mph and can be visualized.
Best of luck, it won't be bad but advise on indexing.
Have you been happy with truck otherwise?

Last edited by Maryland dieselnick; 02-02-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode